Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Team Mitsu WCR
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Michael (eosrebel) came by this weekend to help me gut the pre-cats. Once we wiggled all the sticking bolts loose and gently convinced the O2 sensors to come out, we removed all the packing and put it back in to test. Unfortunately there were a few nasty exhaust holes and it had a very nasty sound to it.

We pounced on it again early Monday morning and were able to seal up all the leaks with gasket sealant. As you can probably tell, big difference. No more raspiness and no more sputtering. The left muffler hanger is rattling though so I still need to secure that to get rid of that tinny sound in the video below.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
What else do you have done to it because that doesn't sound stock just by gutting the manifold. It has a real deep sound to it.

·
Team Mitsu WCR
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's the stock, albeit dual, exhaust. I have to say she sounds great with it and I've never said that before about another stock exhaust. Honestly I didn't hear much in the low end (bass) different from before/after we gutted the cat but the treble end had some additional whisping that I heard.

A

·
0 Posts
To get rid of that rattle from your left hanger, add two rubber washers on each side of where its drilled in, that's what I did and I have zero issues with my dual exhaust.

·
Team Mitsu WCR
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To get rid of that rattle from your left hanger, add two rubber washers on each side of where its drilled in, that's what I did and I have zero issues with my dual exhaust.
Excellent idea, thank you. I was contemplating sound deadening but if rubber washers work (I assume you're referring to gaskets), I'll give it a shot. :bigthumb:

A

·
0 Posts
Not gaskets haha the rubber washers are there so you won't feel the vibration or hear it. Take it to a muffler shop, they could add the rubber washers for like 5 bucks or free if you know people lol

·
Afleete
442 Posts
Finally a video!! Thank you. Hard to find anything for the 09+. Any codes after this? If not I may finally do it

·
Team Mitsu WCR
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally a video!! Thank you. Hard to find anything for the 09+. Any codes after this? If not I may finally do it
Not yet but I have o2 spacers just in case.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm glad we got that leak fixed, it's incredible how much better it sounds now and how much of a difference the factory duals are over the single exhaust on mine.

·
Team Mitsu WCR
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Drove her to work this morning - nice growl on the freeway now when I give a little gas. Feel a bit weaker off the line but at about 2K rpm it starts to get a little spunkier than normal. No codes yet (fingers crossed) - max speed was 75 mph and sustained at 69 mph.

Michael under the car

Manifold removed

Crap from the pre-cats

Just a kick-ass shot from underneath

·
Team Mitsu WCR
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SES finally came on when I got off the freeway and was coasting from 70 to a stop on my way home tonight. Guess it's time to drill out those spacers. Anyone remember what the bigger hole gets drilled out to? I have a machine shop at work I can use to drill them.

·
Team Mitsu WCR
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Michael - I'll have them drilled out tomorrow and try to get them in if the weather holds. I think those bottom O2 sensors will come out no problems.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Getting ready to do this in a couple days , just grabbing everything I need first . I bought 2 packs of the doorman foulers , all the pictures here say " blocked image" , question is they already have holes drilled out in them , am I suppose to drill that hole larger to 1/2" ? Not sure what size the existing hole is in them . Someone said you wanna use 3 of them on the rear sensor if they're the short foulers ? I also read if you use plumbers tape / thread seal and stick some of the gutted material between the 2 foulers it acts as a mini cat for the sensor ? I've seen them presold that like that actually but they're like $80 each . If your using the old material that was clogged wouldn't it just clog in the fouler ? Or pack it loosely I suppose . Anyways , some input would be great , love to get it right the first time !

·
1,965 Posts
When I did this, I had to buy 2 pack of 2, you’ll need to drill out 2 of them with 1/2 inch hole or so, the drilled ones go on your O2 sensor first, and then the u drilled ones screw on to the drilled one

So u end up with O2 sensor > drilled spacer > regular spacer > exhaust pipe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ya I bought 2 packs of 2 . Saw people saying the rear sensor was still throwing codes and it stopped by adding a 3rd spacer . And mine came with holes in them already that look like they'd be a half inch but I haven't measured . I read somewhere on here in a cat gutting post to save the material and pack some of it in between the spacers and use plumbers thread tape to get a better seal , the person that said that has never had a code pop up

·
Registered
131 Posts
Finally got it all gutted today 🙂 I was just thinking to myself I may have done thing wrong . I put the two spacers on each of the 02 sensors that screw into the top of the manifold . You don't have to do anything to the bottom 2 sensors ? I know my 3rd cat is toast as well but I'm having it cut out asap . I was code free and still code free but I can't see how that'll last without changing anything to the bottom sensors ? Are those for the 3rd cat ? Or is there yet another 02 sensor down pipe for that ?

·
1,965 Posts
Finally got it all gutted today 🙂 I was just thinking to myself I may have done thing wrong . I put the two spacers on each of the 02 sensors that screw into the top of the manifold . You don't have to do anything to the bottom 2 sensors ? I know my 3rd cat is toast as well but I'm having it cut out asap . I was code free and still code free but I can't see how that'll last without changing anything to the bottom sensors ? Are those for the 3rd cat ? Or is there yet another 02 sensor down pipe for that ?
No no no no no

You put the spacers on the bottom o2 sensors

Not the top

Do not run or drive this car until this is fixed

U will run dangerous air fuel ratios

Your top sensors are for the air fuel ratios

Bottom are to check efficiency of the manifold cats

The third cat is unmonitored

The computer has no idea if it’s there, clogged, or removed, no sensor for it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts