Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

header leaking.

914 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ill 
#1 ·
hey, so im really happy i found this group. i have a 2007 GS
so about 5 months ago my timing belt tensioner froze up and snapped my timing belt. as you all know that is bad... i ended up replacing the valves and everything runs great. but after i pulled the headers off the engine and went to reinstall them i noticed i had a leak. (yes i replaced the gasket and tightened the bolts in the order needed) i bought another new gasket and a new set of OEM headers and STILL i have a leak. im not sure what to do now, i wanna get this fixed cause my car sound terrible now. any help is greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Might need the mating surfaces redone to be flat enough to seal properly, as well as another new gasket, maybe throw some of that liquid bond in there on the gasket too if really necessary

Btw if you're taking the header off, you might wanna throw a new starter in there while you're at it, as it's right under the header and is in a really bad spot as it gets cooked by the heat, and you have to take the header off anyway

#3 ·
so i had the original headers machined and i still had a leak. ive used gasket sealer, and everything else i can possibly think of. and thank you, after put the engine back in and got everything buttoned up a few days later the starter went out, thats when i bought the second set of heders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.