Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Header Replacement Questions - GT

Tags
headers
3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Sabertooth^2 
#1 ·
I bought RRE headers for my GT over a year ago, and they have been sitting in my room since. I haven't installed them because I am not sure if the job is doable with my level of experience with cars, and I definitely cannot afford to pay a shop to do this. The reason why I have not attempted to replace them yet is because I know you have to remove the passenger axle to get to the rear headers, and that is not something that I wish to mess up. The car NEEDS the headers to be replaced because the cats are clogged and heavily reducing the HP and MPG, and only gets worse with time.

Do you guys think I should go for it? What tips can you share if I do?

To better understand the level of experience I have with this type of stuff, in the past I have done the following:
-Oil change
-Brakes and Rotors replacement
-CAI install
-O2 sensors replacement
-Spark plugs replacement
-A bit of electrical stuff like sound systems and lights
-A bit of body work

See less See more
#2 ·
It's doable.. there are multiple videos on Youtube for you to watch.. definitely need the right tool.. from my experience.. the top right bolt on the rear is difficult due to lack of space but with the right tool you should be able to remove it.. Soak those nuts with pb plaster will help.. remove passenger side CV axle will help a ton.. you can rent the CV axle tool from the auto part store to remove it..
Important key is when you're doing the Headers.. change the Motor mount as well .. these GTs motor mounts take a lot of beating so .. now is a good time to do it.. you can either replace them or use the polyethylene tube from Lowes or Home Depot to make it a little more solid.. Again do research on Youtube prior to tackle the job.. you should be fine.. if you run into problem, post them in here and we can help..

#8 ·
I bought RRE headers for my GT over a year ago, and they have been sitting in my room since. I haven't installed them because I am not sure if the job is doable with my level of experience with cars, and I definitely cannot afford to pay a shop to do this. The reason why I have not attempted to replace them yet is because I know you have to remove the passenger axle to get to the rear headers, and that is not something that I wish to mess up. The car NEEDS the headers to be replaced because the cats are clogged and heavily reducing the HP and MPG, and only gets worse with time.

Do you guys think I should go for it? What tips can you share if I do?

To better understand the level of experience I have with this type of stuff, in the past I have done the following:
-Oil change
-Brakes and Rotors replacement
-CAI install
-O2 sensors replacement
-Spark plugs replacement
-A bit of electrical stuff like sound systems and lights
-A bit of body work
What RRE headers did you get? I have a 2011 V6 automatic

#11 ·
Not sure if you still need help but I will tell you how I removed mine from the rear . I at the time had my car on a lift at work but ...I undid the frame slightly unbolted the rear mount loosen the steering coupling bolt on the rack an pinion and pulled down my frame slightly I also used worble sockets and a really long extension to get to the hard to reach bolts .my process took me about 45 minutes after I finished preparing I did the rear first and then the front ... also being a mechanic of over 25 years ... helps and . if anyone is wondering this method reduces your time dramatically and no need to remove your cv axle from the right side that's not even necessary .

#13 ·
Picked it up this morning. Boy does it sound nice, even with the stock exhaust system. Not overly loud. Almost stock with just a bit more of a nasty snarl when you get on it. Totally happy with the results. Been driving it all morning while I did a bunch of errands and shopping. So far, no check engine light, so keeping fingers crossed. Feels like it's pulling a bit harder, but to be honest, I didn't do it for the power. I did it to cure the plugged cat issue as I want to do a few day road trips and was worried I might damage it. It was always quick enough for me. I may at some point get a tune, but I'm in no rush. I just want to drive and enjoy it for the rest of the summer. Very happy with the shop I took it to as well.

#14 ·
Picked it up this morning. Boy does it sound nice, even with the stock exhaust system. Not overly loud. Almost stock with just a bit more of a nasty snarl when you get on it. Totally happy with the results. Been driving it all morning while I did a bunch of errands and shopping. So far, no check engine light, so keeping fingers crossed. Feels like it's pulling a bit harder, but to be honest, I didn't do it for the power. I did it to cure the plugged cat issue as I want to do a few day road trips and was worried I might damage it. It was always quick enough for me. I may at some point get a tune, but I'm in no rush. I just want to drive and enjoy it for the rest of the summer. Very happy with the shop I took it to as well.
Update: After putting some decent mileage on it over the past couple of weeks, they sound even better than when I picked it up. Best money I've spent on it since I bought it. When I get it out on the highway, it has such a nice sound that I just want to keep driving and driving.

#17 ·
For anyone still following this, I had to get the pipes extended by a local shop because they didnt fit. Also couldnt get them in without lifting the engine. Whole job was a pain in the dick and I am STILL working on getting everything to work properly almost a year later, but that is just because I havent been actively working on it. Sounds good though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.