Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched that OBX and RRE headers wont pass in california, what about RIPP? However, all i can find are OBX though.

Have any of you that live in California manage to pass an inspection with headers on? I know some shops in my state dont even check anything but our lights and blinkers.... Hopefully i can find some mechanics when i move to cali that will look the other way. ;)

As of now i know injens cai passes, not sure about their exhaust though?

I just want to get full bolt ons by the end of the year

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You might have a harder time finding headers than getting them to pass inspection. RIPPs and their knock-offs (OBX) have long been discontinued, same goes for the RRE shorties. Best thing you can do is start emailing those companies or check the used parts section and hope for the best.

Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might have a harder time finding headers than getting them to pass inspection. RIPPs and their knock-offs (OBX) have long been discontinued, same goes for the RRE shorties. Best thing you can do is start emailing those companies or check the used parts section and hope for the best.

Good luck.
I didnt find RR shorties or RIPPs but i found a few OBX ones on ebay,amazon and individual sites, thinking about headers cause its cheaper and from what i seen it puts out more HP than a full exahust replacement

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anybody from california have injens or magnaflows entire exahust system? trying to see if its legal, i cant find anything, all i know is that injens intake is ok

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
injen intake system has a carb number and is approved for our cars, but it doesnt say anything for their exahust system

·
Basically Stock
5,674 Posts
Headers that remove cats, which are an emissions system, are banned. Catback exhausts are iffy. Some have cats still, some don't. Some have approved cats, some don't. If you found a shop that will ignore that it's a non standard cat on one that has it, you'll be fine. But you'll need to find a shop that'll do that.

In Ontario that would be simple, not sure how it is there

·
Registered
357 Posts
You'll pass with full cat-back, but power results are negligible w/o doing headers, which will absolutely not pass smog inspection in CA. I did he RRE axle back and AEM intake at RRE, as the muffler is much more restrictive than the stock piping. I've passed inspection no problem with this set up. Unless you plan on a dedicated track car, that's the best you're gonna do in CA unless you can replace the headers every 2 years, which I was not willing to do.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Injen SES catback has a smaller "high flow" cat on it, which I can see how it might fail a particularly strict inspection. Don't know how effective the 3rd cat is at cleaning the exhaust gases, but I can't imagine the Injen one is doing that much.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll pass with full cat-back, but power results are negligible w/o doing headers, which will absolutely not pass smog inspection in CA. I did he RRE axle back and AEM intake at RRE, as the muffler is much more restrictive than the stock piping. I've passed inspection no problem with this set up. Unless you plan on a dedicated track car, that's the best you're gonna do in CA unless you can replace the headers every 2 years, which I was not willing to do.
Cool thanks, I think ill be changing it after i do a smog inspection when i head over. I dont mind replacing it every 2 years. I'm going to try to email injen and mangnaflow and see what they say then post a update.

·
Basically Stock
5,674 Posts
Injen SES catback has a smaller "high flow" cat on it, which I can see how it might fail a particularly strict inspection. Don't know how effective the 3rd cat is at cleaning the exhaust gases, but I can't imagine the Injen one is doing that much.
It changes the exhaust from smelling sweet to smelling like soot (OEM, at least, on a GS). No cats smells pretty bad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts