Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2009 & 2012 GT owner
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I wanted to replace the factory bulbs in my Eclipse with these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M7ZV...colid=9SPRHF2CC4Y4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

All the videos I watched, demonstrated the change on a 2006 or 2008 model but I have a fully loaded 2012 Eclipse GT and it doesn’t have the clearance behind the headlight assembly like the 2006 demo model or my old 2008 GT did.

In fact, the entire bulb assembly is different, (I posted some pics of the headlight assembly on the driver side and passenger side).

It appears to me that I'm going to remove a few screws that hold the entire headlight assembly in place and then ease it out just enough so that I can then slip the bulb out.

Does anyone know if that is in fact, the way these bulbs need to be changed?
Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
it would be a lot easier to take it off yes you the to then open the cover disconnect the bulb from the ballast there is like a knob around the bulb twist it to release the bulb pull out and replace I would recommend though keeping oem bulbs or replace them with oem bulbs they are pretty good and I'm not sure how compatible the bulbs you posted would be

·
2009 & 2012 GT owner
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I say twist not the bulb there will be plastic things sticking out
Oh I see! No problem. I suspected that part I pointed out, (in my pics) was just a cover for the bulb. I don't have any problem with the lights, I just thought the LED 8000K would give me more distance in the low-beam.

My lens cleaning kit came last night so I'm going to clean each lens right now. That'll go a long way in giving my lights a better reach.

I don't know if I'm going to change the bulbs or not but for the price, it's not a bad gamble.

Thanks again,
Rich

·
Registered
54 Posts
and if you are going to change the bulb I would stick with the D1S style bulb just to make things easier with fitment the should make some in 8k if you want to go that bright

·
2009 & 2012 GT owner
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you do know you can change the projection on the bulb with the dial in the car right?
my oem bulbs go pretty far
Yes, but it just seems to pivot the bulb, (hence the beam) higher or lower depending on the direction you rotate the dial. I was considering the LED 8000K to get more 'reach' w/o raising the lights from a mid-point setting while in low-beam.

However, I just finished using a lens cleaner to clean the lenses yesterday, and the results were incredible:hump:. The 'short story' is I had a senior moment about 4 or 5 months ago and while I was about to get in the car, I was approached by some parking lot scammer.

He offered to clean up my headlight lenses for $20 cash, each. I chewed him down to $10.00 each and let him wipe the lenses with a new, 'no-scrub' lens cleaner chemical, not yet available in stores.

I paid that character $20 cash and by the time I got home, I couldn't even see the light bulb reflectors:wallbash:. Seriously, I couldn't believe I fell for that dance :pat:and any other day, I would've laughed him out of the parking lot.

But he caught me at just the right moment (when I left my brains at the house:doh:). Until recently, I thought I was in for a pair of new lenses. (The first pic is the only "Before" shot I have of one of the lenses. The rest are "After" pics, of course).

I started a thread about cleaning them in Club4G a few days ago, and took the advice given. I should have done that 5 months ago:happy:, but... Better late than never.

Anyway, yesterday morning I used a $20.00 3M product for cleaning a lens rated as "heavy scuff and yellowing". (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IFD6FJI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Then last night, I turned on the headlights and was thoroughly impressed:jawdrop:.

I've now put the idea of changing the bulbs to LED on a back-burner. I may still do it at some point, but it can wait because I had forgotten how effective the OEM bulbs were.
Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

·
2009 & 2012 GT owner
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, that's very helpful! The 8000K are back ordered but actually, I started to lean more toward the 6500K. In fact, I see that they offer the 6000K, which is just fine.

However, I wasn't aware that you would have to change the wiring on those non-OEM bulbs. I didn't see anything in the reviews to indicate that would need to be done. I was under the impression that you simply unplug the old ones and then plug in the new ones...

As I said, I've got the idea on a back-burner right now, but while it's still fresh in my mind, I'm going to look into this thing about messing with the wires.

On the other hand, I know that I'll be changing out the fog lights very soon. They're far too warm, (maybe 2700K). I'm considering 4000K to 5000K and I want to get a higher lumen rating as well.

I think the ones I have now are around 600 lumen, if that. I haven't checked to see what's out there yet, but from what I've learned so far, all the screws holding the wheel well in place would need to be removed and then I should have access to the fog light bulbs.

This rewiring thing about the headlight bulbs is a surprise to me and I need to look into that. Just to be sure I understood you correctly, you're saying that I have to rewire the headlight connections for any non-OEM bulbs I use?
Rich

·
Registered
54 Posts
yes those LED bulbs would not be a direct fit for our HID system. But those bulbs I just posted should fit directly and give you the brightness your looking for. The stock HID system is going to be better than any aftermarket LED bulbs I can bet you that. Just change to whatever K you want and youll be good to go

·
2009 & 2012 GT owner
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you very much! You saved me a lot of surprises! I'm definitely going with those Stock bulbs.
Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts