Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has tried a good headlight restoration product? Theres a lot to choose from at my parts store, but dont know what is a good brand..

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you plan on doing it by hand I suggest Maguires heavy duty restoration kit. It works wonders if you're going to use tools I'd say use the 3M restoration kit since it'll save you the time since you use a drill for everything. The only thing I'd say is if your headlights are more badly haze then go buy some lower grit wet sand sandpaper because the box only has pads in the thousands that they come with. So you'll have to go over it a few times to get the lights to clear up if you just use what comes with in the box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
put toothpaste on your headlights rub in let sit for ten mins. wipe off. also you can you OFF! mosquito spray. no joke i just did this to restore mine. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has tried a good headlight restoration product? Theres a lot to choose from at my parts store, but dont know what is a good brand..
You know, I'd recommend going with that Sylvania restoration kit. I've been using their Silverstar bulbs for years on the different vehicles, and I must say, they are cool. And the restoration kit is good as well, and has everything included to do the restoration by yourself. Though, I've never tried doing anything with the toothpaste, so really cannot say anything about that method :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I came on here to make a post about this, but I will post under this tread as it relates to the subject. My stock headlights were getting bad so I purchased the Meguires Headlight restoration kits and used my drill and followed the instructions to a T (or so I thought lol) but I must have really screwed it up, as my headlights actually looked worse then they were :( . This was last year and stored the car and havent got around to fixes this to date. Take a look at the pic, headlights make my car look so bad... I definitely need to get this fixed. Anyone have any ideas what I did wrong? Any tips? I lost some of the pieces of the kit so Ill have to go out and buy a new kit, not sure if I will go with Meguires again or not.

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
F.N.G.
108 Posts
Please DO NOT put Off! on your headlights. It looks like it works at first because the Deet in it DISSOLVES plastic (it's like putting acetone on your headlights). It looks clear but the surface will continue to slowly break down even after you wash it off, and the plastic will become sticky and catch every dirt particle and debris you encounter.

Don't put polishes on your headlights (mag chrome polish, rubbing compounds, etc.) as these contain chemicals that make the plastic brittle and will cause "crazing" (hundreds of small cracks that appear embedded in the plastic after it heats up in the sun).

The Meguire's and other kits are ok, but that will only help for a few weeks or a month if you're lucky.

There's really only 2 fixes for hazy headlights. You can replace them (there are cheap Chinese made ones on Amazon for under $100, but they don't have the protective film and will haze up in about 2 years in the sun), you can spray those with a clear coat and extend that to 4 or 5 years.

Here's the best way to fix them:

Either remove the lights or tape the painted areas all the way around both lights.
Get a water spray bottle (the pump pressurized ones work best) and 1000 grit wet sandpaper. Work both lights in one direction with the sandpaper, keeping it constantly wet. As the oxidation comes off, the water will look milky as it drains away. Continue sanding (use a light pressure and keep it completely flat or you will put deep scratches in the plastic) until the water starts looking mostly clear.

Pro tip: Wrapping your sandpaper around a small sponge will help keep the pressure constant.

Now, at this point you're going to freak out, because it's going to look like you ruined your lights. Trust me on this, it's going to turn out great.

Next take 2000 grit wet sandpaper and repeat this process going perpendicular to the initial sanding (again using light even pressure). Your goal on this pass is only the smooth over the small scratches left by the 1000 grit, and even out the haze.

So after this pass dry the light and look at it. It should be uniformly hazed, without any of the previous sanding "scratches" visible. If you see spots that don't look even or if you see deep scratches from the 1000 grit passes, then continue with the 2000 and then check again (remember keep it wet the whole time you're sanding or you're going to burn the plastic).

Ok, so once you've got a uniform 2000 grit haze you're going to need 2 micro fiber towels and a bottle of PlastX (you can get it at practically every automotive store for under $10.)

Use the first towel to apply this in circles, like a rubbing compound (that's basically what it is, except for plastic). Use the clean towel to buff it off, and now you're going to think "Holy shit! This looks amazing!" but believe it or not you can get it even clearer.

You have to choose the next step. Either use a good carnauba wax and polish it to a amazing shine (this will last 2-4 months and will probably require redoing the whole process every 6 months to a year).
OR
You can get a decent quality clear coat spray (I recommend a good 2 component aerosol clearcoat). This requires covering the immediate area with paper to prevent overspray, but the results will last 4-6 years.

Here's the one I used...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082LJMC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note: this stuff is super toxic and you should really wear a ventilator, but if you don't definitely do this outside and don't blame me if you get lung cancer.

Here's the results I was able to get using this method:

·
F.N.G.
108 Posts
I came on here to make a post about this, but I will post under this tread as it relates to the subject. My stock headlights were getting bad so I purchased the Meguires Headlight restoration kits and used my drill and followed the instructions to a T (or so I thought lol) but I must have really screwed it up, as my headlights actually looked worse then they were :( . This was last year and stored the car and havent got around to fixes this to date. Take a look at the pic, headlights make my car look so bad... I definitely need to get this fixed. Anyone have any ideas what I did wrong? Any tips? I lost some of the pieces of the kit so Ill have to go out and buy a new kit, not sure if I will go with Meguires again or not.

Thanks!!
You either didn't keep it wet enough and scorched the surface of your plastic, or (and it looks like this to me) you didn't sand enough. You have to continue sanding until the water coming off is clear. If it's milky, that's oxidation and you're not done.

It's ok though, you can fix this and you don't need a 25$ kit. Go buy the stuff I just explained and start over on the first step. If you do it right, you can make those look brand new again. I restored mine a dozen times before I clear coated them and they always looked amazing afterwards. I just got sick of doing it and finally opted for clearcoating them.

Take my advice and get them totally clear and then coat them. You'll spend so much time and money doing them over and over and over again, until you finally see I'm right.

Anyways, there's no reason for anyone's headlights to look bad. It is an easy fix (takes under an hour, not counting the prep and clear coat spraying).

As a matter of fact, I'm getting my nephew all the stuff to do this and he's going to try doing it for a business outside bingo parlors and lodges (Elks, Shriners, etc.) where people park for a few hours. I think he can get 2 cars done per hour at $50 a pop, pretty good money for a 17 year old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive had great results with the Meguire's headlight restoration kit. I've done many headlights with just Meguiars M105 and a polishing pad by hand. No sanding necessary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts