Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I bought a 2008 GS manual last may as my first car. It has 215K km (about 135K miles) and I've not had any major mechanical problems up until now.

Is there some things I should pay close attention to, or just doing a regular maintenance should be enough?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to exchange with you all in the future!

·
2,690 Posts
Change that timing belt + kit (+water pump +tensioner +idlers +balance shaft belt +thermostat) before all else! If it goes then bye bye engine/full rebuilt/top end rebuilt at minimum
It's the most common thing that put these cars in the junkyard, too many owners were completely unaware of the timing belt, unaware that its an interference engine, unaware of the maintenance schedule, and unaware that if it blows then bye bye engine

Other than that you can check the maintenance schedule on their website for official schedule, but the jist of it beyond timing belt kit + balance shaft belt would be the valve adjustment on the head, everything else is just fluid and filter changes + general maintenance of any car

Throw some new NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs in, do serpentine belt too, change all fluids, air filter, thermostat, etc.

Mitsubishi Maintenance & Service Schedule
https://mcarsstatic.cachefly.net/pdf/owners/owners-manuals/2008MY Warranty NonTurbos Maintenance.pdf

If you just bought the car and don't know/don't trust what previous owner has said they've had done to it, I'd recommend using the maintenance guide above and replace everything mentioned at the 150,000 mile mark in the book, that'll get you "clean slate" on the maintenance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Timing system is the most important if it's already safe to drive. The other stuff won't cause catastrophic failures like it will.

Where abouts are you located? I'm always interested in other Canadians.
Sorry for the late reply :(

I'm near Quebec City.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts