Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  Sabertooth^2 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2006 Eclipse with 105,000 miles. I got it for $5600. Did i pay to much for this vehicle? Also the damn SES light came on, took it to AutoZone and came back with P0421. It had 3 possible problems, so im hoping its just the O2 sensor. I also hope this isnt a sign as whats to come with this car.. Dealer i got it from said hed pay for it.. Anyways glad i found this site.

#4 ·
Welcome!

It's to my understanding that the SES light is for the airbag system, and can easily be stripped by unplugging certain wires without disconnecting the battery, eg, the power to the seats. Dealership resets it, but often charges around $80-$100. Unrelated to OBD codes

P0421 could mean a sparkplug isn't firing right (any weird idling?), your cats are gone (less likely) or an O2 sensor is fucked, like you said.

For the fun you'll have with the car, $5600 won't upset you. Just get that timing belt done right away, as you're far beyond the rated life on one of them, and if it goes, so does your engine

#11 ·
Hole in the gas tank? Hahaha

Do it the more scientific way. Fill your car up until the pump clicks off. Don't put in any more (generally best to stop there anyways)

Using the trip calculator, or your brain and the odometer, measure the distance traveled before filling up again. See how many gallons were used, and calculate miles/gallons

You could have something similar going as as my fuel gauge though. Mine will read full, and once it's down by about 2.5 gallons the needle will sharply drop, then it's smooth all the way to empty

#13 · (Edited)
... I misread SES as SRS in the beginning. I take back what I said, the SES is definitely caused by whatever is throwing that code. No need for dealer reset.

But yeah, if it's expensive to repair, have the dealer pay it. The Eclipse is a reliable platform, timing belts being the #1 death of our engines. At that price it should be good to go with no major faults

I wouldn't buy another GS, but I would buy a GT

#14 ·
Yeah that's what I have is a GT. Funny thing is, I went to the gas station earlier, and the service engine soon light was off.. I hope Firestone can still diagnose if it's the o2 sensor or catalytic converter. Regardless I'm not paying for either, but If it came down to it I would just leave the service light on, and get a timing belt and water pump first. Since the catalytic doesn't really affect performance.

#19 ·
Well took it to Firestone, it's the catalytic converter, but he told me "personally I wouldn't worry about it" other than that he said the car was good. Getting the Timing belt and water pump done this Friday, by them. $690 bucks total. Now I might pull a tune up myself on this, that's just changing out the spark plugs right?

#20 ·
A tune up can go as far and wild as your imagination lets you go. Changing spark plugs is good when they're too foul to spark, aside from that I find it to be an unnecessary bother.

To be in tune is to be tuned up, to be tuned up it must end in tune, and for that one must be following the rhythm and correcting the sections that don't hold a note.

#21 ·
Thanks Sabertooth, you have been really helpful, and everyone else that's chimed in on my questions. I had an 02 eclipse I bought brand new right out of high school, I wish I never traded it in, it was a good reliable car never 1 problem with it.. hope this one is the same.

#24 ·
It's addictive once you start changing things

First thing I did though was rebuild my front bumper, as the previous owner said it was hit in a parking lot.

Most recent thing I've done is rebuild the front bumper. A fine classy young girl named Chuck (no, she actually was maybe 40 and 200lbs) had her engine blow, and it ate my bumper with the chunks of debris. Then I have a problem of letting cute girls drive my car, 1 hit a post 1 hit a wall. Oh well, you get what you pay for. Just letting the paint dry now, sanding and clearcoating in the morning

#25 ·
Congratulations

I've had mine for about a year and a half awesome car. Definitely do the water pump while timing belt is being replaced. There is alot available for this car on Amazon, eBay, rockaut, etc... Everything you need to know is on this site. And regular gas works in the GT but you will notice a slight power loss and gas mileage goes to shit. Good luck with your new ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.