Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my partner's 2007 GS Spyder. We have been working on it together for about a year now. it has a fiberglass body kit and some amazon LED headlights. Sitting on some TSW Sebring wheels with all season tires for now. We have no plans for performance mods, but maybe someday haha.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Currently being daily driven for a short commute and enjoyed on the weekends :)
We are almost done wrapping the car, these pics are from a few weeks ago before the side skirts are done. All that is left now is the mirrors and a few other touch up items.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What body kit and does it fit flush? easy installation? Had to cut anything?
It was pretty tough to install. Lots of drilling and sanding. Very fun project and looks cool imo but It is definitely a step away from stock. Doing this to a stock car would hurt me a little, we only did it because the previous owner had already done it.

It's a duraflex XGT from bodykits.com, so it's fiberglass. It wasn't that expensive though, only like 600 bucks for front & rear bumper and side skirts.
Mitsubishi Eclipse Duraflex XGT Body Kit - 4 Piece - 104357

The kit does not come with any mounting holes or hardware whatsoever, it's very clearly just a large fiberglass mold that has a 1-4" lip all the way around. We knew this going in, you should be prepared to create some sort of mounting system. It came with some very minor cracks in it, taking delivery at an apartment was a big issue. If anyone buys this it needs to be shipped to a shop or house. we had to use a fiberglass patch and some bondo to get it right. It also took a bunch of prep work to wrap, you can see some of it on the side skirts in that photo still.

The front and rear bumper were pretty easy, we just drilled holes in the flat lip at the top of the bumper that roughly lined up with the stock mounting holes in the frame and used snaps, beefy zip ties, and bolts that were already there. It took a little pushing and pulling to get it flush with everything, and there is a slight alignment issue with the stock quarter panel near the headlight, but It's pretty minor.

I wanted to avoid using zip ties but they were really useful for pulling everything tight. We know from the previous kit that zip ties will slowly eat the fiberglass, making the holes larger and larger. This is worse if the car isn't kept super clean or is bounced around a lot. So I would recommend using snaps whenever possible and trying to distribute the load by using lots of mounting points.

I think if you wanted a more secure mount you could easily press some small rivnuts into the sheet metal holes at the front of the engine bay and under the trunk lid (the ones the current snaps use). You wouldn't need to drill into the subframe because the holes are already there, just get the right size rivnut. I would use M4 bolts with large washers to hold the bumper on. I was thinking of using bicycle water bottle cage hardware (M4 + M5 mostly) because it's extremely cheap, easy to find, and would be strong enough. Most bike shops have literal buckets of the stuff.

The side skirts were way harder, we drilled holes in the factory skirts in the wheel wells, then drilled matching holes in the aftermarket skirts. It was a pain in the ass to get them to match. We used a mix of snaps and zip ties in those holes to hold them on, then bondo to smooth out the gap between the aftermarket part and the stock skirt, that's what you can see in the photo. It was honestly a really fun project and not that difficult but definitely "ruins" the stock parts haha.

I will post more pictures if I can find them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts