Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for a while I had been feeling something that I couldn't quite describe, It felt like it was coming from the front left of the car usually would start too feel it at around 30-35mph an it would stop anywhere between 40-55mph. I first thought it was something to do with wheels/ suspension so I went ahead an replaced the ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links as well as bought 4 brand new tires an had them balanced with a 4 wheel alignment. This didn't solve the problem, someone had told me too try replacing wheel bearing an hub assembly, so I decided to do a little research but everything I was reading about hub an bearing was mainly grinding noises, I didn't really see any feeling type symptoms. I ordered the bearings they just arrived today, however new information arose when I thought there may be something wrong with my transmission because I started to notice a clunking noise when I'd switch from reverse to drive an begin accelerating but this is the only symptom I've experienced so far an my transmission shifts fine its not rough or doesn't slip. So I began too research about transmission problems an after I gathered up some information I found out that it could possibly be my tourqe converter an not my transmission. I read on a page that a failing tourqe converter will make a clunking noise when leaving R, which I noticed mine does. I also found that it will cause a shudder type feeling along with heavy vibration. Out of all the feeling symptoms I've read about the shudder one is the best that describes what I was feeling before I noticed the clunking an was gonna replace the wheel bearing. Ater doing research for a few weeks the tourqe converter is now what I believe the problem is because the bearing symptoms were mainly a grinding sound, which I never heard a grinding sound. I don't wanna just keep wasting money on parts I don't need, by no means am I a mechanic the biggest thing i've ever done was change brake pads/rotors. So what i'm asking is does the information add up too it being a torque converter? Or has anyone experienced something similar? Sorry If there's not enough Information this is about all the time I have to post something so if you need more just comment an i'll add when I can. By the way I have the GT 3.8L V6 2007 with 149k miles. Also i'm having trouble even finding a tourqe converter, everywhere I've looked say "out of stock notify when available" So If someone could point me in the direction of where I might find one i'd really appreciate it.

·
2,510 Posts
The clunk noise is after starting the car and after you’ve already accelerated to about 10 mph?

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,054 Posts
That's a really uncommon issue. A CV failing is much more common, could make noises, can vibrate, and can clunk when changing from reverse to drive due to slack in it being taken up.

You'd have to listen from under the car. Any good shop would have that figured out pretty quick. If you're unsure, don't throw parts at it. Ask them to diagnose it. And remember, a cheap mechanic can easily cost more than a good one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The clunking noise happens like clockwork at around 5 mph after reversing out of my drive way. The shudder feeling happens anywhere from 30-55 mph, it'll also start too vibrate to the point of me being able to feel the vibrations through my entire body, makes for a very unpleasant ride. The shudder feeling i've felt ever since buying the car, the clunking noise I just noticed a few days ago.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,054 Posts
The fact that it's speed dependant not RPM rules out the torque converter. It'll spin faster in 1st gear 25mph than 4th gear 50mph.

It definitely doesn't rule out the CV joint though.

A clunk with weight transfer can be a lot of things, including a lot of soft bushings. Sway bar bushings are a popular one. But that's assuming someone actually checked your suspension before they did an alignment attempt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I had my brother take it in for the alignment because I was working. He was there for close to 2 hours, said that it took them forever to balance the tires for some reason. I have a paper somewhere with the results on them I don't really understand what they mean but, i'll find it an upload it.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
This really does sound like a suspension issue. CV axels tend to make a clunk clunk clunk when you’re turning in the opposite direction of the side that’s bad. For instance, turning left and hearing a CV Clunk would mean the right side is bad, since all the weight is being applied to that side.

Take it to a parking lot and turn the wheel one way and drive it in a circle, try it the other way, if you hear clicking or knocking from turning one way, it’s a CV Axel. You could also check the rubber boots to see if they are torn or have any excess grease around them, indicating a bad boot which turns into a bad CV Axel.

Let us know what you find. This is not a transmission issue in my eyes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts