Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
F.N.G.
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been messing around with a cheap LED strip from amazon on my rear spoiler. Tonight I cut the strip about 1 inch from the end, trying to make it fit and when I tested by hooking it up (it's wired to a controller box which is connected to both brake light wires).
My car no longer starts.

When I lock the car using the key, it locks but doesn't flash the blinkers nor does it honk.

When I use the turn signal, nothing happens.

If I turn on the hazards button, my inside light flashes.

If I turn the key to the on position, the open door light correctly comes on and I get the chime, and my radio works, no other lights come on on the dash (can't remember is that's normal, but I think not).

When I turn it to start, it doesn't do anything. The dash is completely dark. No clicks, no starter attempts, it's like a dead battery.

I don't think the battery is dead (it wouldn't explain the turn signals and hazards) and I tried my lithium jumper just to see. It didn't try to turn over with that hooked up either.

Any ideas guys? Do you think I fried my computer? If I did, is it a big deal to replace it? I see some used ones for under 100$ and new one is over 300$, but is there any issues with changing it out? Am I even on the right track?

Sabertooth? HELP BRO!?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Definitely it’s a fuse. Had one of these fry on me and did all that. No sure which one is it but I believe it was a 10 amp fuse. Red one for me. Look for it on the engine bay fuse box. Look at the diagram and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
F.N.G.
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, you guys are making me feel better. I've seen fuses stop seemingly unrelated accessories, but these symptoms had me really worried. Maybe I'll only be out a fuse and a new shorter led strip.
It was raining when this all occurred so i just wemt inside and pouted a bit. I'll break out the volt meter tomorrow and test the fuses and post what i find. Thanks for the reassurance. I hope ya'll are right, i just got this thing running right and better not have to replace major electronic components over a cheap ass chinese led.

·
Ricer
2009 BMW 3-Series 335i Coupe
132 Posts
Fried ECU will still crank. Check your fuses. Probably a 20 cent fix.
This. I tried putting subs in my old car and it did everything you are mentioning. It was just a fuse!!!

·
F.N.G.
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Issue Fixed

Ok, so turns out none of my fuses were blown, nor was it my ecu. Apparently with all the downtime, my battery has started to fail. It was throwing an "unstable current" according to testing and i replaced it under warranty (yay me) for free. Once I installed the new one, the car was completely dead, no current to the fuse box. After a lot of time scratching my head, I finally found the new problem.

That is the main lead wire from my positive terminal to the hood fusebox, broken after 14 years of corrosion.

I removed some of the insulation and flattened it out, drilled a hole and screwed it directly to the positive post...

All electrical systems are back to normal and the car starts and runs fine now. These cars seriously rely on a good battery. Bonkers. Now back to my build...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts