Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help new to forum I have a 2008 eclipse with a 3.8 litter v6 trying to replace the converter against the fire wall ,I have got it loose but cannot for the life of me been able to remove it from car above or below have removed all bolts from. Engine mounts and tried lifting engine as much as I could but still can’t clear eany advise

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I thought about that didn’t really know was hoping some one had same problem before I took off more parts already tore half car apart

·
Registered
227 Posts
I will be looking into this too

I will be looking into this too since both my front and back are bad. If I find anything, I'll post. Not sure if I'll just gut them or go to headers. Depends on what I found out about the county's plans on emissions testing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Catlitic replacement 2008

Ok I figured it out after tearing half car apart thought I would save someone a lot of time .on top remove intake loosen air conditioning support .from under neath car remove all of the muffler pipes and lower the tail pipe by removing the support you don’t have to remove it just lower it .remove the two under body heat shields .remove the two bolts on the shield over Rack and pinion steering .this will allow you to remove all the heat shields on catlitic converter .remove both oxygen sensors from engine ,long extension from bottom is best on bottom bolts then a ratcheting wrench on top bolts lower it through sub frame it will come out the back

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great

Thanks for the info, I'll look up this thread when I pull mine out. Curious, why did you pull yours? Replace as is or replace with headers?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Edit: Nevermind lol, you already took care of it

Just take out (or even just lower) the subframe and it comes out easily. Trust me, this is 10x easier than any other option.

You can either unbolt the steering rack from the subframe as it's lowered to maintain your alignment, or just take it out with the tie rods and ball joints attached, but good luck getting those ball joints out without tearing the little rubber sleeve. Also, the linkage between the steering wheel and steering rack isn't too complicated, just a little clip. There's a diagram in the factory service manual showing limitations on the alignment between the two when reconnecting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reason why

Thanks for the info, I'll look up this thread when I pull mine out. Curious, why did you pull yours? Replace as is or replace with headers?
replaced it because couldn’t get codes to go out replaced everything while I had it apart plugs ,coils oxygen sensors and cat didn’t want to go back in again and yes it took out codes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was not a single hard as removing the steering don’t go that route it would have been a lot faster had I new how when I first started wasted about six hours but could have done this by myself in about 3 hours had I known

1 - 9 of 9 Posts