Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm installing Tein S-Tech springs (Which everyone on this forum seems to love) on my 4cyl '07 eclipse. I got past the brutal bolt holding the tie rod in the front and i've run into a problem I was hoping someone would have some insight on.
When trying to take apart the whole strut the top bolt (self locking nut i believe) just keeps spinning around, and the cover stops me from being able to use two wrenches or having some room to mess around with it.
If i wanted to use something to hold the cylinder inside the strut, i'd be buying four new cylinders.
ANYONE whose done lowering springs, i'd love to hear about how you got around this to remove the stock spring and put in the aftermarket. (my car is currently on wooden blocks, and i'd rather it be lowered, on rubber tires)
cheers in advance

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
5,947 Posts
A strong impact gun is the traditional go to, same as for tie rods. Torque doesn't work without impact on free spin components like that

But you should also see a hex pattern in the top of the strut shaft. You can put an internal hex bit in there and an offset box end wrench around the nut to spin it out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A strong impact gun is the traditional go to, same as for tie rods. Torque doesn't work without impact on free spin components like that

But you should also see a hex pattern in the top of the strut shaft. You can put an internal hex bit in there and an offset box end wrench around the nut to spin it out
I did notice the hex pattern on there, the problem is the black strut mount is in the way of getting the wrench on the nut at the top. Am i missing something?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts