Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mits Man
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys? I recently bought these LED bulbs for my fog lights and they didn't work. These were supposed to be "plug and play" bulbs and the listing stated that they're compatible with my '10 Eclipse. I even verified the bulb size and wattage against info I found on this forum!!!

My question is WTF do I need to do to get these to work? I noticed some people talking about "load resistors" in a different post about installing LED tail lights.... do I need to put these resistors on my foglights? I would appreciate some help because this should have been an easy mod and I feel like an idiot lol

·
Registered
528 Posts
they sell LED bulbs with the resisters built in. looks like a cooling fin between the plug and bulb. for those bulbs you bought you need an inline resister.

·
Mits Man
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh OK, thanks. I just went ahead and purchased these; they come with in-line resistors that support 50W. I'll see if my old bulbs work, but they probably got blown out since I tried using them without resistors.

Quick question- is there any way I could have damaged my car by trying to use the LED bulbs with resistors?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’ve been running led bulbs in my headlight and fog lights for more then 6 months so far no problems that I know of.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
Which LED bulbs are you running? Any modifications? Anything you had to do to get them setup working correctly?

·
Mits Man
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put the stock halogen bulbs back in and they work, so I think everything is cool. As soon as the resistors come in I'll hook the LEDs back up. Now my only challenge will be finding a way to mount the fog lights in my new body kit :scratch:

·
Registered
101 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
Thanks for the link on the fog lights. I'm going to buy some a install them later, only issue I have is my driver side fog light might be difficult to change out because my CAI is basically smashed up against it. Speaking of, how do you even change the fog lights? Do you have to get inside the bumper behind the fog light or does it come out the front some how?

·
Mits Man
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the link on the fog lights. I'm going to buy some a install them later, only issue I have is my driver side fog light might be difficult to change out because my CAI is basically smashed up against it. Speaking of, how do you even change the fog lights? Do you have to get inside the bumper behind the fog light or does it come out the front some how?
http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006_PS24S_MMNA_SM_PDF/GR00002100-54A.pdf

Go to page 141 bro. You will need to get underneath the car and remove the splash shields; that will give you access to the fogs. You'll have to remove the screws holding them in and then you can slide them out from behind.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just changed my 2 fog lights housing and used the led fog light bulb (6000K) both from Amazon. It looks really nice. I accessed both from the wheel side and just turn the wheels. Of course, removing some push pins and screws. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bro what size bulb is it? I want to get ice blue fog lights but don't know what all I need. Is it plug and play or do I need something that messes with the watts? Thx

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have all of my lights in the healights; but want to put ice blue lights down in the aftermarket bumper! Should I just get some LED light strips and run them down there? Bigger questions - how/where would I run the wiring? AND do I need to add relays for them?? I'm thinking I DEFINITELY should; but, I'm really not sure about wiring and cars! Please help!

·
Mits Man
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I have all of my lights in the healights; but want to put ice blue lights down in the aftermarket bumper! Should I just get some LED light strips and run them down there? Bigger questions - how/where would I run the wiring? AND do I need to add relays for them?? I'm thinking I DEFINITELY should; but, I'm really not sure about wiring and cars! Please help!
Yeah I would definitely go with the LED strips; you don't have to drill into your bumper to mount them and they have a very modern look.

Do you have stock foglights? I just spliced my LED strips directly into my stock foglight wiring (the actual foglights were removed when I got my aftermarket bumper installed). This method only took 10-15 minutes and it lets me control the LEDs from the stock foglight button in my dash. Since they were attached directly to the foglight wiring I didn't need any resistors/relays. I used this heat shrink electrical tubing to weather-proof the splice.

I bought this PlasmaGlow ThunderGrille LED Grille kit and would highly recommend it. They come in every color and are much higher quality than the generic LED strips on eBay. They also include an interior switch you can use if you don't have the stock foglight button (this will require going through your firewall). They have some very long wires too, so you shouldn't have to worry about extending them.

I attached a pic of the LED strips at night.... they are pretty damn bright!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts