Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
F.N.G.
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I accidentally posted this on the general section so I'm restarting here.

Hi everyone, I've been lurking the forums for years, so even though you guys have never seen me, I've read a lot of your posts and wanted to say thanks to everyone who posts on these forums. Especially the how to guides and people who keep their photos working years after they posted (you seriously are great).
So I've owned my 2006 Eclipse GT since it had 37 miles on it. It was my daily driver for the last 13 years, but I recently bought a new SUV and suddenly found I could do ANYTHING I wanted to the 4G, since I was no longer reliant on it for getting to work.
So... let the fun begin... actually several months ago. I'm still at it.
I will be adding to this thread with some of the stuff I'm doing/have done to my girl. After driving a new, very quiet vehicle for over 6 months, the sound dampening had become a priority for me, which is what I've been doing all week.

The first picture is my car as it was before I started spending money and having fun fixin' the old girl up. Stock 17'' wheels, Razzi body kit.
Last year I needed to buy new tires and decided to upgrade to the 18'' OEM wheels (I like to keep a lot of the original parts). Around that same time I was getting a 432/431 error code (2nd bank cat going out) and replaced both headers with RRE stainless headers (cat eliminated) with spacers. I also added a AEM cold air intake and an RRE axle back magnaflow exhaust.

That got most of the mechanics sorted, I replaced all the struts and shocks with (don't groan) again genuine OEM parts (I like the original handling and I drove it for 13 years, so I got used to it's limits).

So with all that thoroughly sorted, I started looking at cosmetics. All the trim had terrible spots where the clear coat was just missing (obviously acid rain).
I sanded that down with 2000 grit wet, and was planning on plasti-dipping / glossifiering that trim (tell me what you think of this idea, I'm not married to it). It's final texture is smooth as silk, but I worry about no protective film over it long term. It's also not high gloss like it was originally.

I also resurfaced my headlights using 1000 grit wet, 2000 grit wet, plastX and am waiting on this humid southern air to dry up so I can clear coat them both before I order some eyelids.

I've got some more stuff going on, but I'll need to shrink the pictures down small enough to post on here. I'll add them shortly...
 

Attachments

·
F.N.G.
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whew, busy weekend. I finally gave up on getting decent humidity and decided to go ahead and spray clear coat on the parts I've been working on.

First, I mentioned I had sanded down my hazy headlights. Well, I went back over them and since I was so concerned for the past 2 weeks about humidity, I decided Friday night's 84F 86% humidity would be just fine. After applying 3 coats to each, I went to bed thinking a job well done.
Of course, one of the lights blushed and I had to go back over it with sand paper and parts cleaner, and apply 2 more coats. Fortunately, it was 92F and 70% humidity for those coats (isn't the south pleasant in the summer?).
I looked at the blushed one after it fully dried and it has some pretty nasty crazing. I think it was from using (on advice of "the internet") chrome mag polish the attempt to "repair" the headlight back in the spring. I hadn't really noticed it since the oxidation was reflecting so much light. I'm ordering some eyelids for them anyways, and the crazing appears to be more on the top so I'm not going to replace it for now.

Second, I had pulled the factory center caps off last week. I sure wish the "tape" trick or suction cup trick would have worked, as it is though, I had to remove each tire just to punch them out from the inside. Anyways, I ordered some Vivid 4D carbon fiber vinyl wrap (just to play around with) and decided to cut out diamonds for those center caps. They turned out really good, but this stuff is meant for interiors only (apparently the top plastic layer separates if it gets wet after a while). So I sprayed 3 coats of clear coat on them, that should make them pretty weather/car wash proof.

Finally, I got my rear spoiler lip remounted. I'm going to dedicate my next post to that, since it was quite a bit of modifications and deserves multiple pictures.
 

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top