Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 Eclispe GT 6 Speed manual and I had a shop install a clutch, throw out bearing, in line bearing along with the secondary slave cylinder. I did not recieve the old parts when I got the car back the next day, (They took about 24hrs to do the job). Is there any way I can tell if they really did what they charged me for? As far as the cluch feels, it feels the same in every aspect but there is defenently no sliping when I'm in third gear or higher. A little back story of why I took the car in was there was break fluid under the car and the cluch pedal just went all the way to the floor without being able to change to a gear. I jwould also get slipping when in third gear or higher and gassing it.

·
Basically Stock
5,842 Posts
TL;DR: It's as much work to check it as to change it.

The fluid isn't from a worn clutch, but is from a leak. Could have been your release bearing or line. A leak would also prevent the clutch disengaging, so you'd grind gears instead of being able to shift.

Fluid there could cause slip, most pronounced in higher gears.

To see if it was actually changed, you could pull the transmission and inspect the disk and flywheel for wear. Or you could skip that and say they did it. To fix your issue requires 95% the work to change the clutch. It's hard to argue that they'd be so lazy to not change it.

You can always ask for the old parts back, they are yours. But if they threw them out because you didn't ask, unfortunately that's not their responsibility, and they were providing a service greater than requested by disposing of what's garbage to near anyone who takes a car to a shop.

The closest you can get to testing is to see how the clutch engagement point is. If it's way at the top, it's worn out. Your problems don't sound like you needed a clutch replacement as the fix, but it may have been good maintenance anyway while in there, for how cheap the part is compared to the labour to do it twice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts