Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

I have a 2008 Eclipse Spyder GS w/over 260K miles. Someone LOVED this car in the past & took AMAZING care if it.

Unfortunately it is stuck with me now, & while I LOVE it, too, I'm disabled & unable to work on it myself (no matter HOW much I want to).

So my question is, how on EARTH do I find a mechanic who can actually work on Eclipses?

I've searched around & all I've found are 'domestic vehicle' mechanics - (one such mechanic was ADAMANT that '08 Eclipses only have THREE O2 sensors, not 4....).

They've all hemmed & hawwed, say when they "might be able to fit me in', before (eventually) telling me they've never worked on a Mitsubishi before & that they actually have no idea how to even change the oil (but they're always SURE it's 'too much trouble' before telling me I should 'just get a different, domestic, vehicle').

But, Eclipses are literally the only cars that fit short little me - I can see over the dash AND touch the pedals in an Eclipse. At the same time, even!

This is, in fact, my 4th Eclipse. But it's my first 4G Eclipse (the other 3 were 2G, & I lived in the Northeast US when I had them).

So now I'm in Northern California, with this wonderful 4G Eclipse Spyder that needs work (currently trying to get it to pass CA emissions ...).

But I'm floundering & very, very frustrated trying to find anyone, at all, that works on Mitsubishi's of any kind, let alone awesome Eclipses.

Help? 馃檹

Thank you in advance!!

Dawn

Forgot to add, my Eclipse is a 2.4L automatic

Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
I have no California mechanic connections unfortunately, but I have to say, those are some of the dumbest sounding mechanics ever. They don't deserve the title of mechanic, they sound like parts changing techs. If they can't figure out how to change the oil on it when there's no cover, a single drain plug, and the filter is right beside it, then wow. Pay the 10 year old next door between rounds of Fortnite, he's more qualified.

Maybe you can get them a little more inspired by telling them it was made by Mitsubishi Motor North America, was only made for the US market, and is from Illinois (just like every Eclipse ever, they all left the same factory)

Registered
Hello all.

I have a 2008 Eclipse Spyder GS w/over 260K miles. Someone LOVED this car in the past & took AMAZING care if it.

Unfortunately it is stuck with me now, & while I LOVE it, too, I'm disabled & unable to work on it myself (no matter HOW much I want to).

So my question is, how on EARTH do I find a mechanic who can actually work on Eclipses?

I've searched around & all I've found are 'domestic vehicle' mechanics - (one such mechanic was ADAMANT that '08 Eclipses only have THREE O2 sensors, not 4....).

They've all hemmed & hawwed, say when they "might be able to fit me in', before (eventually) telling me they've never worked on a Mitsubishi before & that they actually have no idea how to even change the oil (but they're always SURE it's 'too much trouble' before telling me I should 'just get a different, domestic, vehicle').

But, Eclipses are literally the only cars that fit short little me - I can see over the dash AND touch the pedals in an Eclipse. At the same time, even!

This is, in fact, my 4th Eclipse. But it's my first 4G Eclipse (the other 3 were 2G, & I lived in the Northeast US when I had them).

So now I'm in Northern California, with this wonderful 4G Eclipse Spyder that needs work (currently trying to get it to pass CA emissions ...).

But I'm floundering & very, very frustrated trying to find anyone, at all, that works on Mitsubishi's of any kind, let alone awesome Eclipses.

Help? 馃檹

Thank you in advance!!

Dawn

Forgot to add, my Eclipse is a 2.4L automatic

Registered
I've had the same problem myself and have things I'm not about to "refix" because of it. So far I've found a NAPA shop that has been able to fix it. But everyone I know doesn't like to work on them or they find them too difficult.:rolleyes:

Basically Stock
I've had the same problem myself and have things I'm not about to "refix" because of it. So far I've found a NAPA shop that has been able to fix it. But everyone I know doesn't like to work on them or they find them too difficult.:rolleyes:
I can't understand how. They're one of the easiest cars to work on that I've ever found.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time to leave California. It is a silly place.
馃ぃ馃ぃ But we just got here!
& sadly, all the New Jersey & Maine garages were the same 馃槪
I can't tell you how many times I've been told over the last 2 decades "we don't work on those" (Mitsubishis) & to "just get an AMERICAN car" 馃が

Fortunately, I DID find a muffler shop 2 hours away with awesome car guys, & they're getting it 'emissions passing'- at this very moment, in fact (thank goodness). It did need a new catalytic converter, which I kinda figured, since it just hit 269k miles (& California is wicked on emissions).

It needs other work, too...but we're extremely lucky we found anyone to even do the emissions & keep us on the road.

My daughter's been right along side me in this quest to find anyone to work on our Eclipse, & is thoroughly fed up with w/all the so-called mechanics we've encountered thus far, & has figured she's just going to have to learn how to fix our baby herself.

She's starting with minor stuff on our '08, but has decided that once she's got it fixed & running up to her (very high) standards, that she's going to tackle my most favorite car EVER - my old '96 Eclipse Spyder GST, which sat outside for 7 years after the transmission blew, & now needs a complete rebuild & restoration. (I'm a damn proud mom right now, typing that!)

She's tiny, though, & rusted af bolts are...difficult.

So if anyone has tips, tricks, favorite car repair/rebuild manuals/youtube videos/etc. for a beginner that doesn't have much arm strength we'd welcome them!!

Registered
2006 GT Manual.
I know this isnt the answer you are looking for but if you absolutly have to there is always the dealer. I know its not the most ideal answer due to the costs involved but if there is something you can not do on your own or find someone else to do for you it may be your best option.

Registered
馃ぃ馃ぃ But we just got here!
& sadly, all the New Jersey & Maine garages were the same 馃槪
I can't tell you how many times I've been told over the last 2 decades "we don't work on those" (Mitsubishis) & to "just get an AMERICAN car" 馃が

Fortunately, I DID find a muffler shop 2 hours away with awesome car guys, & they're getting it 'emissions passing'- at this very moment, in fact (thank goodness). It did need a new catalytic converter, which I kinda figured, since it just hit 269k miles (& California is wicked on emissions).

It needs other work, too...but we're extremely lucky we found anyone to even do the emissions & keep us on the road.

My daughter's been right along side me in this quest to find anyone to work on our Eclipse, & is thoroughly fed up with w/all the so-called mechanics we've encountered thus far, & has figured she's just going to have to learn how to fix our baby herself.

She's starting with minor stuff on our '08, but has decided that once she's got it fixed & running up to her (very high) standards, that she's going to tackle my most favorite car EVER - my old '96 Eclipse Spyder GST, which sat outside for 7 years after the transmission blew, & now needs a complete rebuild & restoration. (I'm a damn proud mom right now, typing that!)

She's tiny, though, & rusted af bolts are...difficult.

So if anyone has tips, tricks, favorite car repair/rebuild manuals/youtube videos/etc. for a beginner that doesn't have much arm strength we'd welcome them!!
ChrisFix on you tube.
His videos are based on people fixing stuff using hand tools at home, in the drive way.

Reactions: EclipseOfFae

Basically Stock
Carb clean: Helps break rust faster than penetrating oil

Penetrating oil: Can be sprayed on a day before working on a stuck bolt to try and lubricate the threads

Heat: A MAPP gas torch (yellow bottle) for plumbing with a fine tip can be used to heat many bolts enough to be removed if they're stuck. Heat breaks the bonds between the bolt and other material if they're rusted together.
If not, an oxygenated flame is needed. These are the really spicy ones that will melt steel

An impact gun: It applies torque on only a single axis, so is less prone to breaking bolt heads off than wrenches/ratcheting wrenches. You can get a DeWalt one good for 1200lb-ft of break-away even for about $300 with a pair of batteries. I've never met a person big enough they wouldn't appreciate that

Registered
Just don't go to s&s auto in chattanooga, took my gs in for the trans stuck in limp mode and p0763... their diagnosis is to rebuild the whole thing. Which would be cool except I have quotes from other places that range from 3-3700$ not 5300$ if I wanted to just slap a transmission in and junk the old one... I'd just do it myself 馃槀

Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

Reactions: EclipseOfFae

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Carb clean: Helps break rust faster than penetrating oil

Penetrating oil: Can be sprayed on a day before working on a stuck bolt to try and lubricate the threads

Heat: A MAPP gas torch (yellow bottle) for plumbing with a fine tip can be used to heat many bolts enough to be removed if they're stuck. Heat breaks the bonds between the bolt and other material if they're rusted together.
If not, an oxygenated flame is needed. These are the really spicy ones that will melt steel

An impact gun: It applies torque on only a single axis, so is less prone to breaking bolt heads off than wrenches/ratcheting wrenches. You can get a DeWalt one good for 1200lb-ft of break-away even for about $300 with a pair of batteries. I've never met a person big enough they wouldn't appreciate that
Wow, thank you so much!!
Detailed information like this is EXACTLY what we needed!!

We've looked at impact wrenches quite a bit over the past 2 years, but after 3 different drills that all turned out to be far less powerful than advertised (or needed), we've been hesitant to go through the whole 'buy & try' process for 8 or 9 different impact wrenches, too.

Ordered the impact gun just now, & I can't wait to see her use it!

I'd tried penetrating oil on my '08, without luck, & as everything on the '96 is far, far more rusted than the '08, I hadn't known what could possibly work on it. I'm excited to see how Carb clean does!

And the heat/torch info - THANK YOU!!!

YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!

You've given us the exact pieces of info that we needed 馃挀
If you lived closer, I'd bake you cookies. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Basically Stock
Hahaha, cookies would have been great.

Up in Canada, we have to learn to deal with rust, or get really good at extracting stripped/snapped bolts

As for that DeWalt impact, it will unstick things my friend's professional air impact won't. It's this one below with the half inch drive (square at the end for the socket) not the impact screwdrivers they also make (which are about 65lb-ft torque. Great for framing a house, bad for stuck bolts on a car)
Pneumatic tool Drill Hammer drill Handheld power drill Tool

1 - 20 of 20 Posts