Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had my eclipse for over 2 years now, tried multiple methods I read online of how to fix dashboard from popping up. I tried the strongest double sided tape I could find and the best glue I could find. After the problem was still not solved I decided to rip out the dash pad and clean up the plastic dash under it. After tearing out the dash pad I was able to see how the sun had damaged it and shrunk the pad. I decided to vinyl wrap it, and honestly it came out great! It’s something I wish I would have done sooner. All I needed was a heat gun, a couple of blades, and the vinyl wrap itself. If you’re going to try it don’t get impatient and I suggest watching some vinyl wrap videos on YouTube before wasting your material. I had never wrapped a product before but honestly for my first attempt I was happy with how it looks.
Car Sky Vehicle Mirror Motor vehicle

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
Did the texture of the original dash pad come through the vinyl?
Glazing putty and a sander would remove all risk of that. I can see a spot where it did have a low point on the passenger side, but can't see the lows. However, knowing there ARE lows, you could potentially have an area where the vinyl isn't bonded and just holds overtop, which would be prone to damage

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the texture of the original dash pad come through the vinyl?
I removed the original dash pad and set the vinyl over the hard plastic that remained. There were about three or four indentations in the dash. It’s been fine as long as you’re not really pushing on the dash where those indentations are located. It’s not really a big deal. Not like anyone is really putting their hands on the dash anyways.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i never pulled off my dashboard but my dashcover is coming off, i think the old owner might pulled it off, if you glue it down wont it stick thus making it hard to remove the dash in the future

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
i never pulled off my dashboard but my dashcover is coming off, i think the old owner might pulled it off, if you glue it down wont it stick thus making it hard to remove the dash in the future
Sorta. You glue to pad down to the dash assembly. When removing the dashboard, the pad stays on as a part of it. There are no screws/bolts behind the vinyl pad, so no reason to ever remove it from a mechanical standpoint

1 - 9 of 9 Posts