Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any guess to how much fluid is needed to take my 4spd auto trans from Low to Full? About half a quart? I don’t wanna accidentally overfill, otherwise I’ll just have to try it out myself

·
Basically Stock
5,817 Posts
Come on Kyle, this is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect you to know!!!

Eyeballing it about 2 inches. Pours 2 inches from a syringe. Good enough. And that's my bored after midnight take on the situation. Best of luck to you! It shouldn't be too hard to do though. Typically, run the motor, open the filler cap, and keep checking as you go. I'm sure you know the procedure better on an F4 trans though. Maybe you need to squint your left eye and sing it a soothing song first, it's a wild world.

I remember the thick clouds of burning ATF taxi drivers used to have come out of their cars when I worked at a gas station... I'd always have the shutoff and a fire extinguisher ready when they "topped it off" in the old Chrysler minivans.

·
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol I know it’s a silly question but I was just wondering because it’s not exactly in the FSM, it just says along the lines of “keep filling until at correct level”

I did a dump and fill (thank Mitsubishi Gods for a drain plug and dipstick on this trans) in November to further clean out the fluid from when I sucked it out before, sure glad I was able to clean that magnetic drain plug this time; it was a little overfilled anyway for a short period of time because I added some because of a very slow leak if it sits too long from the RTV’ed “gasket” that holds the valve body cover on from the factory, RTV is wearing out a little and seeps
Pulling the drain plug takes out around 6 quarts, I knew it was overfilled maybe half a quart so I added 5 which was all I had, and after getting it to temp, running through all the gears, with it running as the FSM says it’s sitting at the Low mark on the Hot part of the stick
Going to run it tomorrow with the scan tool connected to verify the trans temp is to the correct temp the FSM says (176F) and just keep adding some slowly till it’s at F

I only asked because if I could get a confirmation that it’s exactly half a quart from L to F then I could just dump half a quart in without mucking around driving it to temp and verifying with the scan tool etc

don’t like working on it in the cold haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts