Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

My 2006 GS has been sitting for a year or so due to life complications. I would like to drain the gas tank and replace with fresh gas prior to trying to restart it. It ran fine before sitting.

What is the best way to drain the gas? Anything else I should do before trying to start it?

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

·
TheSlow4g
2007 AWD Turbo GS
241 Posts
I haven't drained gas with the tank still in the car, but I did drain it with it out of the car and I must say. It wasn't very fun. I had a cheap siphon from Oreillys that would pop the hoses every couple pumps. So maybe with a quality pump and good hose maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

But I don't think you'll have to. I would let my car sit for months at a time and it would be fine. Just take it slow until you fill it up again.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,512 Posts
I haven't drained gas with the tank still in the car, but I did drain it with it out of the car and I must say. It wasn't very fun. I had a cheap siphon from Oreillys that would pop the hoses every couple pumps. So maybe with a quality pump and good hose maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

But I don't think you'll have to. I would let my car sit for months at a time and it would be fine. Just take it slow until you fill it up again.
I dropped in a walbro 450 with a length of hose, and powered it with a battery charger on one. On another, I just tipped it over into a funnel on a jerry can and hated every minute of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts