Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

361 - 380 of 738 Posts

·
REDLINE
1,362 Posts
1/2" breaker bar is what i used.i did tackle this mod right when i got home from work while the exhaust was still hot.made it a lil easier.
It helped when it was hot? I learned the hard way to not work on hot stuff, lol. Twisting off bolt heads is one of the worst feelings. I do use a torch sometimes though for really tough bolts.

·
Love My Truck
3,843 Posts
It helped when it was hot? I learned the hard way to not work on hot stuff, lol. Twisting off bolt heads is one of the worst feelings. I do use a torch sometimes though for really tough bolts.
ok well i gave it a 5 minute cool down period.i live 7 minutes from work lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
Long time Lurker first time poster... I had noticed a few people mentioning a SES light issue after doing this mod. I also had this issue for a while. I used spark plug defoulers drilled out to 1/2" as suggested. Everything seemed right however I did notice that I seemed to have lost low end torque and that SES light would come back no matter how many times I cleared it. It was catalyst warm up below threshold or similar... I decided to take the o2 sensors out of the the defoulers and the defoulers out of the exhaust and wrap the threading with plumbing tape and reassemble. 230 miles later after clearing the SES and no issues. I also seem to have gotten my torque back.

I use an android app called torque which is pretty cool as you can read all of the info from your ecu in real time including HP to the wheels, air fuel ratio, 0-60 times on and on and on... Any how my AF ratio is 14.7 to 1 I was under the impression it was suppossed to be 15:1. What if that reading is accurate does that mean ? Am I rich or lean, or neither? Its also handy as you can check fault codes and clear them.

Back to the point though, if you are getting any SES issues you may want to try my fix and report back to see if it was a fuke or if it really helps others.

·
REDLINE
1,362 Posts
Long time Lurker first time poster... I had noticed a few people mentioning a SES light issue after doing this mod. I also had this issue for a while. I used spark plug defoulers drilled out to 1/2" as suggested. Everything seemed right however I did notice that I seemed to have lost low end torque and that SES light would come back no matter how many times I cleared it. It was catalyst warm up below threshold or similar... I decided to take the o2 sensors out of the the defoulers and the defoulers out of the exhaust and wrap the threading with plumbing tape and reassemble. 230 miles later after clearing the SES and no issues. I also seem to have gotten my torque back.

I use an android app called torque which is pretty cool as you can read all of the info from your ecu in real time including HP to the wheels, air fuel ratio, 0-60 times on and on and on... Any how my AF ratio is 14.7 to 1 I was under the impression it was suppossed to be 15:1. What if that reading is accurate does that mean ? Am I rich or lean, or neither? Its also handy as you can check fault codes and clear them.

Back to the point though, if you are getting any SES issues you may want to try my fix and report back to see if it was a fuke or if it really helps others.
I am still throwing codes after the de-foulers too. Can you explain more on what you did? Im losing torque bad now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am still throwing codes after the de-foulers too. Can you explain more on what you did? Im losing torque bad now.
I will do my best. The lower two o2 sensors are screwed into the defoulers, in turn those are screwed into the exhaust. First unplug the bottom two o2 sensors from where they hook up near the top of the motor like you did when you first did the mod. Now remove the o2 sensor from the defouler. Wrap the threads with any plumbers tape on the o2 sensor and screw it back into the defouler. Now wrap the threads on the defouler with plumbers tape in the same way. (About plumbers tape, it can purchased at any hardware store for dirt cheap and it is easy to use, just wrap it tightly around the threads once or twice. Its paper thin, it acts as an air or water seal.)

Now finish installing everything the same way you took it apart. Reset the codes, let it idle for a few minutes and take it for a ride. If you are going to throw a code it will happen when you are driving at a constant speed between 45-55 for 5 minutes. If you don't get a code then you are probably in the clear.

Hope that explains it a bit better.

Also worth mentioning if your AC is on you will feel a great decrease in torque no matter what mods you have as it just sucks the life out of this tiny motor.

·
REDLINE
1,362 Posts
Alright, so they act as a seal or something? I have a GT but its worth giving this a shot. I've almost tried everything after this header install. Thanks for the details though man +rep!

·
illusionperformance
6,935 Posts
dont know why some people are losing acceleration my car feels better then it did with the catalyst material in there.

·
UV Blue Crew
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
No one should be losing acceleration. It's the laws of physics. Of course there is less tq because you removed two cats, but I guarentee everyone's 0-60 and 40-100 is faster than it was before, but because it doesn't feel as torquee they assume they lost acceleration. I'm proof, I got stomped by a car before my gutted cats, gutted them and ran again, and stayed side by side with him. So, you can't deny physical proof haha

·
Love My Truck
3,843 Posts
No one should be losing acceleration. It's the laws of physics. Of course there is less tq because you removed two cats, but I guarentee everyone's 0-60 and 40-100 is faster than it was before, but because it doesn't feel as torquee they assume they lost acceleration. I'm proof, I got stomped by a car before my gutted cats, gutted them and ran again, and stayed side by side with him. So, you can't deny physical proof haha
yeah,definitely faster without a doubt :)

·
Elitist Prick
2,632 Posts
I have no losses anywhere across my power band. Pure gains.

·
Registered
336 Posts
so I did this earlier yesterday, and I have to say thank you for this awesome and very cheap mod! I love the sound of it when I randomly take off my muffler for when I go to the dragon or the strip. I will be going to the local 1/8th mile track next friday and see how much my time has improved:) And I will hopefully also have my S techs and sway bars and the intake resinator delete on by then:)

·
Jerzey G
1,122 Posts
so I did this earlier yesterday, and I have to say thank you for this awesome and very cheap mod! I love the sound of it when I randomly take off my muffler for when I go to the dragon or the strip. I will be going to the local 1/8th mile track and see how much my time has improved:)
What did you use to get the o2 sensors off?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

·
Elitist Prick
2,632 Posts
If nothing else, use some vice grips and a mallet.

·
Love My Truck
3,843 Posts
get a 6 point craftsman 7/8 boxed end wrench.thats what i had to use on the one 02 that didnt want to come off.as stubborn as it was,it was no match for this wrench

361 - 380 of 738 Posts