Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
All Black Everything
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been many reports that after installing new LED Tail Lights that the driver may see a TCL OFF light appear on their dashboard. This is your Traction Control, basically what helps you when pulling off in rain/snow. Some drivers have also mentioned that when this light is on, their cruise control shuts off.

Usually the light only appears after around 10 minutes of driving. When you shut your car off & restart, the light does not appear, but will re-appear once you start driving again.

(If your light constantly stays on no matter what, I would suggest having it checked it by the dealership or someone familiar with Mitsubishi cars.)

The reason this light is appearing is due to the way Mitsubishi cars are wired. Everything is integrated with each other. So when the car’s computer notices that the brake lights are not getting enough power, it ends up activating this light.

What you need to do is hook up a load resistor to each tail light. This will basically “fool” the computer to think that it is getting the same amount of power that the stock tail light’s received.

For installation remove your tail lights from the car, but do no disconnect the wires or anything. You just need to have access to the wires.

You will need to have 2 Load Resistors. I picked mine up from a local Auto Zone. 2 of them came in one package as seen below.

You will need to use the dual-splice connectors that come with it (if they don’t come with it, don’t worry, it’s really cheap) & connect the resistor to the brake wire & ground wire.

• Brake wire is the red wire coming from the tail light.
• Ground wire is the black wire coming from the tail light.
• Green wire goes to the lights that come on when you turn on your headlights.

In each of the dual splices will be the black wire that comes from the resistor & wires mentioned above.

There is a metal piece in the middle of the splicers. They must be really pushed in with a set of pliers in order to cut into the wire and actually splice.

You will need to position this as close to the tail light as you can (in terms of how far you go up the wire), but leaving room so that you can position the resistor in a way that wont touch anything else.

THE RESISTOR DOES GET WARM/HOT! So use whatever method you can to secure the resistor without touching anything plastic or any wires. (I personally used some zip ties to secure the wires back and let the resistor hang in the air by itself.)

That’s all there is to it!

·
Scrape Artist
7,354 Posts
this is the kind of stuff we need on the site. good write up Jason :highfive:

·
All Black Everything
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx :)

I actually just realized a bunch of typos I made lol. I'll fix it later when I'm at a computer (on my phone now). Wrote all that & made the graphic while working on a bunch of other things at the job earlier lol.

·
2,975 Posts
Thanks for the awesome write up. That was actually one of the reasons I haven't gotten the aftermarket tail lights yet. Has this fixed your problem 100%?

·
All Black Everything
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the awesome write up. That was actually one of the reasons I haven't gotten the aftermarket tail lights yet. Has this fixed your problem 100%?
Thanks.

Yea, I have had these in for a week now & the light has not appeared. Everything works like normal. Quick $10 fix.

·
Eclipse MR
9,144 Posts
Good info! :bigthumb:

·
All Black Everything
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to hear that it's working for everyone else as well. You can really thank Joe over at Auto City Imports, lol, he gave me the idea because he heard of a similar issue on the Lancers. I guess I was just the test dummy to see if it would work on our cars as well, lol.

·
Lathe Master
3,876 Posts
Anybody know the resistance value of these guys? Should be labeled on them somewhere with an omega.

·
Lathe Master
3,876 Posts
Thanks I might as well give this a shot while its down for the winter......

1 - 20 of 73 Posts