Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, "new" here....I have lurked from behind a screen since Aug of 2014 and watched you all...lol jk but I did take a lot of advice on our cars along the way and the builds on this site are why I went ahead and kept my car instead of trading it off after the wrecks...yes there were a couple.

Anyway though. I finallly uploaded some pics of my car and wanted you all to know they are there, they are from the first day I got the car and had to go right back to work lol.

The car was called Bat Mobile one time then just a POS then after so I am calling it the Bat Mobile for now (not a batman fan at all)

I am updgrading the "Bat Mobile" finally since I have repaired most of the damage and have begun with a K&N Typhoon Mass Air intake (says it takes the car from 225 WHP to 238 WHP) and I just finished the complete install of my D2 RS Coilvers (now I have the vibration from dropping it too low).

I have no idea how low of a drop I put on it (just matched the height of all the springs and threw them on. It looks nice) but it does have this weird vibration now. Gonna get the alignment on Monday or tomorrow if the tire shop is open. Also getting a dayco kit installed by a buddy with a mechanics shop on Monday. Just had its first ever tune up in 5 years as well.

I have OBX long tube headers on the way along with a knock off something catback exhaust (headers were almost 400 alone needed something to not break the bank links to the eBay parts I bought below...I know eBay ahhhh the devil...and probably so).

Then I am looking to join the 300WHP club probably looking to port and poish, ECU flash, or something to give it the missing 50ish WHP it will lack to get there. (this is definitely a plea to share your journey and what other mods got you at 300WHP).

So back story, I tought my lady love to drive stickshift in this car and she of course burnt the clutch. Bought a new LKQ pack and DM Flywheel (dumbest shite) and had them installed. That was about 4 1/2 5 years ago wow...just realizing that.

Once we replaced the clutch we shared the car and she got into a wreck on the interstate. A tractor trailer lost its rear fender and it smashed into the front of my car sending her into a spin and smashing the windshield and denting the hood and passenger A pillar on its way back. Snapped both axles, flat spotted the tires, hot spotted or otherwise ruined the rotors and we got a nice check for it but life and bills are a real thing. Soooo fast forward another 4 years and I am finally building the car!

Updated with links to parts. Apparently knock off, maybe this is why some people have said that lowering the cars causes vibrations and some do not?

Update to the eBay parts issue. This may have been an issue in the past but my current experience with the parts below is happy. My car sounds awesome now and definitely has a little more pep in the response of throttle on/off. I can actually feel that MiVec kick in at 4k. Super excited to complete the header install and get the AEM F/IC tunned. That is gonna be a whole other ride. But if the previous builds that used eBay parts were shitty parts that has not been my experience and maybe the shittier sellers were weeded out? I dunno, I say ebay parts work! (lets see what I say in a year or two) 10/22/18

Typhoon MAI
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291932708084

D2 RS Coilovers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223070921209

OBX Long tube headers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153198876071

Knock off thing for sure Catback exhaust
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372139762844

AEM F/IC Auction probably won't be valid for long
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132821070774

Cold start video w/exhaust and MAI installed
https://youtu.be/kNlxTQWKOTc

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey guys, "new" here....I have lurked from behind a screen since Nov of 2014 and watched you all...
Welcome aboard Nate... you stalker... :biggrin:

Reactions: ngarnett86

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just waiting for when the time was right :ninja:
Some before and after pics of your work as you make modifications would be great. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking good. About how much did you drop the ride height with the coilovers. Debating on springs or saving up for coilovers.
Not 100% on actual drop but I measured 4 1/2" between the spring perch and lower mount of the shock to set the height in the front and it sits pretty low still. I think the rear was 3 1/2 inches. I will measure the height and post pics.

I had an issue with vibration after the initial install but after alignment, raising the height 1/2 inch, and correcting a mis measure on my part (passenger side was about a 1/2" difference from driver to pass. on install), the car runs pretty smooth.

I think my swaybar bushings are bad though. Weird spring noise when taking off or going into reverse but just the first of the drive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so I am a little excited about building this car so I ran out and took the pics just now like a 5 y/o on Christmas excitement the whole time...

So the front looks like it sits at 6 1/4" and the rear sits at 8 1/2" so whatever that is from stock I dunno but there is also a pic of what it looks like now with the corrected passenger perch and mount set.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The thing I notice most about the coilovers though is that the handling is insanely different....although I had shocks from 12 years ago on there and now have my first set of coilovers ever lol

The responsiveness and control you feel from it is worth every penny I spent. I might lower it a bit more maybe an inch all around but the camber on them is out of range (.6 and .8 on the front and .6 on the rear) so I am not sure on if I want to do that or not due to tire wear. I had a hack job lowered 95' eclipse I bought and rebuilt when I was younger that would eat new front tires every 6 months and would break the bead seat if you cornered too fast....POS

This build although the drop does appear so slight, it is significantly noticeable when in front of the car and I am digging it so far.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thats funny, I also had a 95 eclipse. Never lowered any of my cars before. But the truck like rear wheel gap is driving me nuts. Heard mixed reviews on coilovers vs lowering springs. Figured i'd spend $150 over the winter and throw lowering springs at it and ride it until the shocks fail.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats funny, I also had a 95 eclipse. Never lowered any of my cars before. But the truck like rear wheel gap is driving me nuts. Heard mixed reviews on coilovers vs lowering springs. Figured i'd spend $150 over the winter and throw lowering springs at it and ride it until the shocks fail.
Honestly I would save for the coilovers. It is such a better handling experience and just crisp controls. I cannot really describe how much more in control I feel with them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like you have a promising and exciting project. Good luck with all your upgrades and keep us posted!
For sure! My exhaust came in today ! Ah man it looks boss, Gods Now is the brand?

A little pic leaving work as well... Just looks so nice now. Guy at work thought I got a new car.

I'll try to find the pics of the wreck.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts