Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
2,297 Posts
Where could I even get like a rebuild kit from?
Sabertooth on this very forum will hook u up, he's done it himself to prepare his engine for boost

You need Wiseco 4G63 turbo Evo stroker racing pistons in 87mm or bigger since our engine is basically a bored and stroked 4G63 at 87mm bore already so you obviously can't go lower than 87mm without cylinder sleeves; you can bore it out to a 87.5mm, keep the stock 100mm crankshaft (it's forged stock, best already), and keep the rods the same length (150mm) but get forged/upgraded ones
Adjust your valve clearances while you're at it and just have the whole engine rebuilt, new timing kit, etc. and it'll be practically brand new

Btw is your car auto or manual?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Sabertooth on this very forum will hook u up, he's done it himself to prepare his engine for boost

You need Wiseco 4G63 turbo Evo stroker racing pistons in 87mm or bigger since our engine is basically a bored and stroked 4G63 at 87mm bore already so you obviously can't go lower than 87mm without cylinder sleeves; you can bore it out to a 87.5mm, keep the stock 100mm crankshaft (it's forged stock, best already), and keep the rods the same length (150mm) but get forged/upgraded ones
Adjust your valve clearances while you're at it and just have the whole engine rebuilt, new timing kit, etc. and it'll be practically brand new

Btw is your car auto or manual?
Its an automatic transmission, engine 2.4l 4 cylinder

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to but in gentlemen, but Ive had the exact same issues just minus all the testing just yet. But very much in suspect of all you have been talking about.
So even with all the testing and part replacing, his engine, and seems a bit like mine(still to fully diagnose), his engine was was defective from the beginning unfortunately is what I am taking from this. Or do you think it just had maybe run its life course or had a premature failure at some point causing what you say having to rebuild and rebore?

·
2,297 Posts
Sorry to but in gentlemen, but Ive had the exact same issues just minus all the testing just yet. But very much in suspect of all you have been talking about.
So even with all the testing and part replacing, his engine, and seems a bit like mine(still to fully diagnose), his engine was was defective from the beginning unfortunately is what I am taking from this. Or do you think it just had maybe run its life course or had a premature failure at some point causing what you say having to rebuild and rebore?
It’s definitely not a defect from the beginning
It wouldn’t have made it this far if it was lol (180k miles he said)?

this is definitely just a worn out engine shown by lost compression because a cylinder or 2 are losing compression because their cylinder is going out of round, bad rings, or there’s extreme cylinder wall damage, or potentially just the valves aren’t seating right; lots of things can cause lost compression

truth be told tho, the engine should have lasted many more miles that this, I’ve seen these cars with well over 200k miles, approaching or at 300k

idk how long he has owned the car, but my best guess is that a previous owner along the way either had a timing belt snap and damage was done inside the engine, and put back together good enough to get it to run again or more likely:

someone didn’t change the oil enough and used poor quality oil for most of the engine’s life

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It’s definitely not a defect from the beginning
It wouldn’t have made it this far if it was lol (180k miles he said)?

this is definitely just a worn out engine shown by lost compression because a cylinder or 2 are losing compression because their cylinder is going out of round, bad rings, or there’s extreme cylinder wall damage, or potentially just the valves aren’t seating right; lots of things can cause lost compression

truth be told tho, the engine should have lasted many more miles that this, I’ve seen these cars with well over 200k miles, approaching or at 300k

idk how long he has owned the car, but my best guess is that a previous owner along the way either had a timing belt snap and damage was done inside the engine, and put back together good enough to get it to run again or more likely:

someone didn’t change the oil enough and used poor quality oil for most of the engine’s life
A couple of things. Just to ask out of curiosity. I've only owned the car for less than a year, getting the oil changed regularly. However for some reason it was consuming oil. Enough to make the oil light flash if I went around curves to sharp after about 1200 miles or so. I'd asked the dealership about recalls, they'd said something about hydraulic lifters. Would those possibly be able to cause the valves to not function properly, consuming oil, and losing compression?

·
2,297 Posts
A couple of things. Just to ask out of curiosity. I've only owned the car for less than a year, getting the oil changed regularly. However for some reason it was consuming oil. Enough to make the oil light flash if I went around curves to sharp after about 1200 miles or so. I'd asked the dealership about recalls, they'd said something about hydraulic lifters. Would those possibly be able to cause the valves to not function properly, consuming oil, and losing compression?
No there was no recalls for anything like that ever on this car; my 06 GS Auto has had all of the recalls ever created for these vehicles done to it
2 way back when the car first came out there was 2 about the brake master cylinder and booster
Then there was one about failing fuel tank straps where they feared the fuel tank could fall off if the car was rear ended
Then the 2015 ABS module recall

I also don’t believe our valvetrain has hydraulic controlled ones, they’re just set and that’s why technically they need checking and adjusting

41 - 47 of 47 Posts