Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
2K views 46 replies 3 participants last post by  pcfreak4 
#1 ·
So I've been recently having issues with my 2006 mitsubishi eclipse 4 cylinder car. It happened out of nowhere that I started getting a rough idle. Which showed up as a misfire on cylinder 2 when I plugged in my obd2 reader. I've tried fuel injector cleaner. Higher grade gasoline, replacing the spark plug, replacing the spark plug cylinder gaskets, and valve cover gasket, I've swapped coils (stayed as misfire on cylinder 2)

Then replaced the fuel injector with a remanufactured denso. Which only seems to have made it run worse. It's not leaking fuel, and the rom jumps up and down, and it only has a rough time while sitting. (It also seems to be bucking when I drive with the new injector) so I'm really stumped. Im assuming it can only be a vacuum leak at this point, though I can't find anything. So any advice would be very appreciated.

#9 ·
So an update, First, the spark plug was an auto lite xp iridium. 2nd, I've disassembled everything and reinstalled the new injector making all the O rings were fine, and that everything was in place, I got everything back together, and its running a ton better. The only issue is that theres still a slight shaking at idle, and I still have a pending P0302 code.

#25 ·
I think what my next step will be is to try changing the fuel pump, Ive no idea if its been changed or if its factory. I've heard the fuel filter is built onto it, (Like it being just a filter sock?) Does anyone know how Id be able to check fuel pressure to see if it might be worth going into doing/investing, or what kind of fuel pump would work as a replacement.

#36 ·
As if they know what they're talking about
No, it's 1234
So you gave me your compressions in backwards order? So cylinder 2 is your super low psi compression cylinder AND the cylinder throwing the misfire code then right? That makes more sense now

All in all, there's not much you can do to fix this except rebuild the engine and rebore the cylinders up to the 87.5mm size and use the Wiseco racing 4g63 stroker pistons and get some stronger rods (150mm) while you're at it, and the engine will be bulletproof and built

#44 ·
Sorry to but in gentlemen, but Ive had the exact same issues just minus all the testing just yet. But very much in suspect of all you have been talking about.
So even with all the testing and part replacing, his engine, and seems a bit like mine(still to fully diagnose), his engine was was defective from the beginning unfortunately is what I am taking from this. Or do you think it just had maybe run its life course or had a premature failure at some point causing what you say having to rebuild and rebore?

#45 ·
Sorry to but in gentlemen, but Ive had the exact same issues just minus all the testing just yet. But very much in suspect of all you have been talking about.
So even with all the testing and part replacing, his engine, and seems a bit like mine(still to fully diagnose), his engine was was defective from the beginning unfortunately is what I am taking from this. Or do you think it just had maybe run its life course or had a premature failure at some point causing what you say having to rebuild and rebore?
It’s definitely not a defect from the beginning
It wouldn’t have made it this far if it was lol (180k miles he said)?

this is definitely just a worn out engine shown by lost compression because a cylinder or 2 are losing compression because their cylinder is going out of round, bad rings, or there’s extreme cylinder wall damage, or potentially just the valves aren’t seating right; lots of things can cause lost compression

truth be told tho, the engine should have lasted many more miles that this, I’ve seen these cars with well over 200k miles, approaching or at 300k

idk how long he has owned the car, but my best guess is that a previous owner along the way either had a timing belt snap and damage was done inside the engine, and put back together good enough to get it to run again or more likely:

someone didn’t change the oil enough and used poor quality oil for most of the engine’s life

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.