Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
How much boost, on what turbo? Then also what sort of use?

Also, there won't be much difference between a $100 eBay intercooler and a $400 Mishimoto. Go bar and plate, then worry about dimensions not brand. That $60 tiny generic eBay intercooler is fine for my friend's A4 at 24psi doing drag racing, with back to back runs for example with a GT2860r. However for sustained low speed circuit racing, it would probably get heat soaked eventually. But if that happened, we could add ducting, and that would increase the airflow again.

There's a ton that goes into intercooler size choice, and most people do it wrong. Eg, I have a 30*11*3" intercooler on mine. At 22psi and 500hp area (significantly higher powerband than stock motor) and I've never had it come close to heat soaking, but it has scraped on a couple driveways. When checked after doing maybe 6 1/4 mile passes back to back with no wait in between, the first 2 inches were kinda warm but not hot. The rest was cold cold. But I sized mine to be large enough for the next turbo still where it'll see over 600whp on pump gas alone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting the precision 6466 turbo..I want my car to put the most out on the line..I'm not drag racing or anything but might in the future..just a every day use that's about it..and the boost I don't know yet..any ideas ??

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
Depends on what you're putting into the motor. Head studs, EGR delete, a super safe tune, and luck on your side, you may hit 25psi even. But between 3 and 25 these have popped stock. Mine popped at 3psi lol. I blame the tune though, it cut fuel to prevent over boost while cold (3psi limit), and then died. I have since disabled that long ago. Around 12psi has been generally safe.

That said, that's a LOT of turbo for a stock motor, or even just staying FWD. So let's pick an intercooler for your end goal. Eg, do you plan to do a built motor or AWD? If it's not planned, is it a possibility still? If not, a 5858 would probably be a better go in that area. It'll be more responsive, and still be huge for a stock motor (a great 500whp choice)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crazy ha..I'm redoing the whole motor..pistons and rods..and my whole engine is apart right now 😁 only thing there is the engine block and cylinder head block..I want to do a AWD but that's gonna take some time for that so for tha mean time I'm jus gonna keep it FWD

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
I have a Rev9 one. Can't remember the exact model. I ordered a Spec-C, but ended up with a bigger one

It's very similar to this one. Mine doesn't seem to be any model they still list. Also, looking at their CFM numbers and how they compare to horsepower, they are VERY conservative.
https://rev9power.com/spec-v-intercooler.html?___store=rev9power

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So this might sound kinda crazy ha but can you tell me or explain to me or maybe even show me a picture of how the pipes are supposed to be connected to everything like the intercooling piping and turbo piping along with the down pipe connecting to the exhaust pipe

·
2,892 Posts
Not to be mean but I think this upgrade is over your head rn bud, I advise sticking to some bolt ons

The ppl like Saber who have turbo’d their car are real modding pros

I’d suggest keeping your Eclipse NA and just buying a car that is boosted stock to mess with

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
My turbo sits with the inlet filter on the driver's side, and outlets under the turbo down at an angle towards the passenger side. From there, I have a 45 degree coupler that goes to a pipe with my blow off valve in it. That pipe goes to a 90 coupler, that goes to a 90 pipe that turns it all around to come into the intercooler at the passenger side. It flows through, and goes to the same design at the other end, with a 90 hard pipe, 90 soft coupler, and into a 45 degree bent pipe. That pipe comes up exactly how a DC sports cold air intake would, but in that length I have a custom MAF housing. The stock MAF mounting limits you to ~340whp. After that, mine goes a little weird, as my intake manifold sits about 3" lower than a 4G69 intake manifold would (I have adapted a 4G63 manifold to go on)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts