Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 08 Eclipse GT and i'm just trying to have some fun with it. I really want to get it to backfire, how would this be possible? the car is currently straight piped

·
Basically Stock
5,842 Posts
I'm guessing you want afterfire, not backfires. Backfires are through the intake, bad times.

Yeah, you can get a crackle tune. You can't run it with cats, and it can make your exhaust valves pretty hot depending how you do it. But there are other ways to do it that actually make it less harmful to the engine than not having it, by cooling the cylinders, pistons, and valves

Big pops always and bad for the valves: Timing gets set to fire a spark after the exhaust valve opens. Big bang, flames, lots of heat. 30 degrees after being a good point for big pops, it's where Audi does their DSG tunes to shift at WOT to cut power but not lose boost.

Big pops sometimes, crackles more often but only on a very hot exhaust: Lots of fuel added on over run, spark over advanced so there's no compression (factory is about +60 degrees off throttle to do that, but doesn't add lots of fuel). Downside here is fuel economy.

Also, a key factor is exhaust size. The smaller the exhaust, the more aggressive of pops you get, and better chance at a flame. The reason is because of added heat retention, and less volume of air for the flame front to have to travel through

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing you want afterfire, not backfires. Backfires are through the intake, bad times.

Yeah, you can get a crackle tune. You can't run it with cats, and it can make your exhaust valves pretty hot depending how you do it. But there are other ways to do it that actually make it less harmful to the engine than not having it, by cooling the cylinders, pistons, and valves

Big pops always and bad for the valves: Timing gets set to fire a spark after the exhaust valve opens. Big bang, flames, lots of heat. 30 degrees after being a good point for big pops, it's where Audi does their DSG tunes to shift at WOT to cut power but not lose boost.

Big pops sometimes, crackles more often but only on a very hot exhaust: Lots of fuel added on over run, spark over advanced so there's no compression (factory is about +60 degrees off throttle to do that, but doesn't add lots of fuel). Downside here is fuel economy.

Also, a key factor is exhaust size. The smaller the exhaust, the more aggressive of pops you get, and better chance at a flame. The reason is because of added heat retention, and less volume of air for the flame front to have to travel through
Wow thank you for all the info, I’m new to all of this so I’m trying to learn. I think I’d want to go the “big pops sometimes and crackles more often” route. I’m going to see a tuner this weekend and he says he specializes in Mitsubishi. Is that a smart move? Or should I do something before going to a tuner?

·
Basically Stock
5,842 Posts
If he asks for a standalone ECU or charges more than $500, walk away and get fastworks. Very few people can tune a 4G Eclipse on a stock ECU. Those who can generally use ECUflash, which is limited in features.

Fastworks lets you tune your own car afterwards as well if you wanted to adjust anything. They also support your car through tune updates as mods change. It also gives features like launch control

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If he asks for a standalone ECU or charges more than $500, walk away and get fastworks. Very few people can tune a 4G Eclipse on a stock ECU. Those who can generally use ECUflash, which is limited in features.

Fastworks lets you tune your own car afterwards as well if you wanted to adjust anything. They also support your car through tune updates as mods change. It also gives features like launch control
well he quoted me 200$ but said he doesn’t know if the ECU would be compatible because he mainly tunes EVOs. Maybe it would be better to just go the fastworks route???

·
Basically Stock
5,842 Posts
If he doesn't have experience with the 4g of your exact engine/trans and year (different ECU definition per year and engine/trans) then he won't have any luck.

$200 is either a great deal or its someone who's about to brick your ECU (which happens if you don't have the definition files when using ECUflash, during the read attempt).

·
2,137 Posts
If he doesn't have experience with the 4g of your exact engine/trans and year (different ECU definition per year and engine/trans) then he won't have any luck.

$200 is either a great deal or its someone who's about to brick your ECU (which happens if you don't have the definition files when using ECUflash, during the read attempt).
The definition files are just to be able to edit the tables on the ROM, without them, you can just read a ROM and then do nothing with it

·
2,137 Posts
Have you had success doing the read with ECUflash? Because there's a mountain of people who've had it brick their ECU, myself included, and have been multiple times when they "fixed" the bug causing it without fixing it
No never tried on my Eclipse because there are no definitions anyway
Yeah I read that on the latest version they fixed it

·
Basically Stock
5,842 Posts
No never tried on my Eclipse because there are no definitions anyway
Yeah I read that on the latest version they fixed it
I also read that. But I'd also read it before. And before. I tested it after one of the fixes in 2016 that fixed it too. Next thing you know, back and forth with them for a few months, a month of them with my ECU, and it's finally unbricked. I had to bike to work for all that time as my car sat in the driveway, me desperately hoping every custom patch they'd sent me might fix it.

So I'd proceed with high caution.

·
2,137 Posts
I also read that. But I'd also read it before. And before. I tested it after one of the fixes in 2016 that fixed it too. Next thing you know, back and forth with them for a few months, a month of them with my ECU, and it's finally unbricked. I had to bike to work for all that time as my car sat in the driveway, me desperately hoping every custom patch they'd sent me might fix it.

So I'd proceed with high caution.
That’s why I just went with Fastworks, but now I’m unable to login to that now and nobody will help me with the license. I think my licensed computers is maxed out because every time my computer updated it would generate a new computer ID to fastworks idk why

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you had success doing the read with ECUflash? Because there's a mountain of people who've had it brick their ECU, myself included, and have been multiple times when they "fixed" the bug causing it without fixing it
lol damn I thought this wasn't something I needed to worry about? I was still putting off my fastworks tune because of a bad o2 sensor, but that's replaced now.

·
Basically Stock
5,842 Posts
lol damn I thought this wasn't something I needed to worry about? I was still putting off my fastworks tune because of a bad o2 sensor, but that's replaced now.
Fastworks isn't ECUflash. Different software. Fastworks even has a recovery mode that lets you un-brick an ECU. Plus, step 1 with Fastworks is making a backup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts