Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I recently picked up a spoiler I found on Craigslist for 50 bucks, and I thought it was an actual SE spoiler but after I got it home I think it's just a cheaper aftermarket one.

It looks like it was sanded and maybe primered so obviously it's gonna need paint which brings me to my first questions: should I try and paint it myself or pay a shop to do it? How crucial would it be to get actual Kalapana Black paint to match, or would it not matter that much? If I paid a shop to do it, roughly how much would that cost me? I imagine it wouldn't be cheap.

Question 2: I realize a rear spoiler on a FWD car is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine but would this look too rice-y? I suppose my car might look kinda rice-y as is. I'm curious to hear what you guys think. Personally I'm on the fence about it. Its also quite a bit bigger on the car than I was envisioning.

I'll post pics below. Excuse my ghetto spray can propping it up lol. Thanks for looking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Mitsu4thg
162 Posts
Hey guys, so I recently picked up a spoiler I found on Craigslist for 50 bucks, and I thought it was an actual SE spoiler but after I got it home I think it's just a cheaper aftermarket one.

It looks like it was sanded and maybe primered so obviously it's gonna need paint which brings me to my first questions: should I try and paint it myself or pay a shop to do it? How crucial would it be to get actual Kalapana Black paint to match, or would it not matter that much? If I paid a shop to do it, roughly how much would that cost me? I imagine it wouldn't be cheap.

Question 2: I realize a rear spoiler on a FWD car is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine but would this look too rice-y? I suppose as-is my car might look kinda rice-y as is. I'm curious to hear what you guys think. Personally I'm on the fence about it. Its also quite a bit bigger on the car than I was envisioning.

I'll post pics below. Excuse my ghetto spray can propping it up lol. Thanks for looking.

Who cares what anyone else thinks. If you like it keep it dude.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It isn't really to my taste, but honestly it's your car and it's going to take much more than that to turn a 263hp car into rice lol

Get some quotes from local shops to have it painted. Can't be too much I imagine

·
Basically Stock
5,677 Posts
You've been misinformed, and it's a common myth and misunderstanding.

Spoilers do 100% the same thing on a FWD car as a RWD car. They disrupt the airflow (spoil) off the roof line preventing a low pressure pocket that gives lift and drag by shrinking the low pressure zone. Many are just for show, but some OEM wings do add noticeable fuel economy to the car when the body design is exceptionally poor, and stability is improved when there is a lot of rear end lift. It has actually been enough to alter some car's mileage ratings

Wings give a directional force depending on the angle of attack (downforce in cars, lift in airplanes). And in racing, downforce is needed at both ends of the car regardless of drivetrain setup. You want to keep things balanced so the mechanical grip from the front of the car with the extra weight is matched by the grip added by the air pushing down (additional downward energy without gaining mass) when using a rear wing, for an optimal setup. The Eclipse is front heavy, and a wing will bring it more in line to 50/50 if set up right for the track you're on. You don't see many (any?) successful racecars with a front end weight bias and no aero to counter it with a rear bias. It's a recipe for slow cornering speeds

You can ignore almost everything you learned about wings in school, shape isn't the major reason why airplanes get lift. It's all about angle of attack (the angle of the wing against the oncoming air mass) which creates a higher pressure pocket as well as drag. Fighter jets and stunt planes for example have symmetrically shaped wings which do not generate lift naturally at all. A flat car wing works on the same principal, and we alter angle of attack. The Bernoulli principal applies greatly to the car body's shape, however, in that a car naturally has high pressure under it (slow air, lots of turbulence), and creates a low pressure zone above it (smoother flowing air, fast). To create additional downforce without causing drag, we need to accelerate the air under the car's body to lower the pressure, which gives more downforce

But on topic to use it or not: If you like it, go for it. It might look cool in the same colour as your badging on the rear

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, after reading your replies I've decided I'm gonna go for it. Thank you all for your input, especially Sabertooth^2 for that in-depth explanation, that's really interesting. I'll be sure to update you guys on this, though it might be a while.

This is a really great community and I'm lucky to be a part of it! Thanks again

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm probably the one guy who thinks it's ugly as sin, then. It doesn't go with the car. It looks like it belongs on an older, bigger sports car. Even if it's painted, it's still too big.

While yes it does have a function, but is there a noticeable difference? Probably not. I feel like the added weight would negate any positive gains.

Just my two cents. I'm sure everyone else disagrees.

·
Mitsu4thg
162 Posts
I'm probably the one guy who thinks it's ugly as sin, then. It doesn't go with the car. It looks like it belongs on an older, bigger sports car. Even if it's painted, it's still too big.

While yes it does have a function, but is there a noticeable difference? Probably not. I feel like the added weight would negate any positive gains.

Just my two cents. I'm sure everyone else disagrees.
Everyone has there own opinions, I personally don't see the gains on having one for a car of our style, but like the aesthetic of some on ours. Depends on the spoiler I guess also.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Financial Wizard
2,287 Posts
Is it going to sit flush on the trunk? One side looks like the mount is not sitting flush but its hard to tell?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it going to sit flush on the trunk? One side looks like the mount is not sitting flush but its hard to tell?
I think it will, I just had it propped up on something that wasn't quite the right height. It's fairly flexible either way

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did you paint it yet?

If I wanted it the same color as the car, I would have it painted at a body shop where they could match the paint exactly. Too many times I've seen paint just a shade off and my eyes go directly to that.

I agree with Saber "It might look cool in the same colour as your badging on the rear". Then you don't have to worry about matching the paint to the car, and you could also add some black detailing, striping or decals to it.

Just my thoughts.

·
Blue Collar Genius
3,225 Posts
the Kalapana black is a must.
personally think its a bit tall, but if painted correctly it should look nice. dont worry too much about the aspects of what the wing does, unless you're actually racing it....legally.
an aggressive downforce wing will also hit your fuel consumption on long trips, so i'd leave it of if you're driving cross country an awful lot. otherwise you're not usually driving fast enough to use the wing properly anyways.

so if you think it looks nice, do it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think it looks good in the last two pictures , looks tall straight on from the back , but I concur it would look awesome in whatever color your badging is , love that color !

·
Super Moderator
332 Posts
I think it looks good in the last two pictures , looks tall straight on from the back , but I concur it would look awesome in whatever color your badging is , love that color !
Bruh, you running around reviving 2.5 year old posts? :crunk::crunk::crunk:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts