·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
5,947 Posts
Remove the undertray if you have it

Unplug fog lights if you have them

Undo the bolts at the top of the bumper

Undo the plastic push pins that hold the fender liner to the front bumper

You'll find two annoying 10mm headed bolts. A 1/4" drive ratchet with a 6" extension works great for those.

Double check that you didn't miss any plastic push pins on top, or under the bumper, as well as any bolts up top (in the upper rad support area)

Pick up the bumper, walk straight away from the car with it.

Overall, takes about 10 minutes once you know how.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Remove the undertray if you have it

Unplug fog lights if you have them

Undo the bolts at the top of the bumper

Undo the plastic push pins that hold the fender liner to the front bumper

You'll find two annoying 10mm headed bolts. A 1/4" drive ratchet with a 6" extension works great for those.

Double check that you didn't miss any plastic push pins on top, or under the bumper, as well as any bolts up top (in the upper rad support area)

Pick up the bumper, walk straight away from the car with it.

Overall, takes about 10 minutes once you know how.
I love that..... 10 minutes if you know how! Probably two hours if you don't! lol
I'll keep working on it today, and take a pic or two on the progress.
Thanks...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got all the bolts and push pins out all around that I can see... apparently there are a couple bolts hidden behind the wheel wells near the headlamps. I guess I need to take out the front panel of the wheel wells... just what I am seeing.
Will probably have to take the wheel off so I can see better in and under there. Not a big deal. Seems that is the only place it's firmly attached still.

·
2,297 Posts
Got all the bolts and push pins out all around that I can see... apparently there are a couple bolts hidden behind the wheel wells near the headlamps. I guess I need to take out the front panel of the wheel wells... just what I am seeing.
Will probably have to take the wheel off so I can see better in and under there. Not a big deal. Seems that is the only place it's firmly attached still.
The bolts are on the bottom of the fender holding the bumper up in the corners

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got it all done today... was of course for me more than 10 minute job.. probably more like 3 hours... just a lot of time trying to find out where everything was attached... had to take the wheels off, and the inside wheel wells, then I got access to those top bolts up near the headlamps. Wasted some time jacking up each side of the car separately.... and it took some time working the new bumper back into place, and putting back all the screws and those awkward plastic fasteners. Glad however it's done.

Wife actually liked the whole front bumper being "black" look. She suggested painting the back bumper black and the top of the car. Might be a good look... she is usually right about everything. I am slow to learn this of course! lol

·
2,297 Posts
Does it seem like the only way to remove the A/C receiver drier is by removing the bumper? Cause that’s where my A/C is leaking

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The bumper was just beyond repair... so after doing the replacement, it's much better now.
I'll be starting all the body work and will have to repaint the car... so I think I am going to go with a dark rust color... similar to the sunset pearl, but I think I will go a couple of shades darker. I'm surprised how good the whole black bumper looks. I might just keep that black as it looks like a nice bra front with clean lines. Might look good against a darker paint with some contrast but not as much as this. I can always paint down to the grill later if need be.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Restored the front headlamp covers... I posted in the how - to section also.... for posterity. I think it might be helpful to some. Basically just wet sanded starting at 600 then moving through the grits 1500, 2500, 3000, 4000, 5000, 8000.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Today, a good friend of mine who is a Porsche 911 owner and fanatic car guy... took the GT for a drive and left shaking his head. He was in disbelief at how quick the car was and how tight the transmission was shifting....loved the suspension as well, and commented on how important the front sway bar was. He reluctantly said "this car actually drives better than my 911". Add to that all the creature comforts, heated leather seats, sunroof etc... it was interesting to hear his comments. He had driven a GS before but wasn't that impressed, but this with the 3.8 liter V6.. this is a totally different animal... much like the 914 vs the 914-6. Two totally different cars.

·
2,297 Posts
I bet the quality of interior is much better in his Porsche than the plastic haven Mitsubishi interior we have

21 - 30 of 30 Posts