Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an all white 08 Eclipse GS back in August or so, and now that I've come to get used to my car, the more small things I want to add/change. I want to make my car a bit more aggressive without looking like a ricer, and without breaking bank. I've heard the GS doesn't have very many things you can do under the hood other than things like cold air intakes and such, but nothing special, so I'm leaning more towards cosmetic changes. I want a more aggressive front bumper (I'm not a big fan of the stock bumper on the 08 Eclipse), but I've had a really hard time finding anything that isn't a couple hundred dollars. The best I've figured was doing a front and back bumper cover, and getting some new coilovers to drop my car like 2.5 inches to get rid of that nasty tire gap that plagues 4g Eclipses. Any tips on what I can do to make my car more aggressive without coming off as a ricer? An example of a GS that I think looks really nice is the orange one in the attached picture

Attachments

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,054 Posts
I'm gonna tell you that the one in the picture is literally rice, because the body kit is race inspired but it's no racecar, that fender stripe is something from racing the show where the driver is, but it's no racecar, the skirts have a fake brake cooling duct, and it appears it may have fake sponsor stickers.

But, that's about $1500 in body work (body kits aren't bolt on, they must be modified to fit, then sanded, painted, and cleared, this also doesn't appear to be a full one, just overskirts and a bumper cover), you'll be about $1000 (parts alone) into any coilovers that go that low without making handling worse than stock, headlight eyelids are about 85usd shipped, unpainted at AutoCityImports, the spoiler is a stock GT spoiler you can grab at a junkyard, and the rear window louvers are $500-$700 depending on source.

As for ability to do stuff under the hood, the GS has a significantly larger aftermarket than the GT, and is much easier to break 300whp with than the GT.

In the picture, it looks like the front of your car is lower than the rear. Did a previous owner put lowering springs on just the front? Or is there a broken spring maybe? Or just the picture

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our cars are very similar being white 4Gs. I dropped it with Eibach kit 1.2-1.4", changed rims to black, added a black SE spoiler. Added halo/black headlights. Just giving you an idea how your car could look (without the body kit)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sabertooth, I already checked the local junkyards for parts, none of them have 4g eclipses that I can find. Also where do you guys go to look for performance parts?

Edit: Also the front isn't much lower than the rear, it's just the angle

·
Basically Stock
6,054 Posts
Sabertooth, I already checked the local junkyards for parts, none of them have 4g eclipses that I can find. Also where do you guys go to look for performance parts?

Edit: Also the front isn't much lower than the rear, it's just the angle
Depends what you're looking for. A cold air intake, Amazon, DC Sports intake. A turbo, me, I'm a dealer and cut big discounts here. A tune, Alex K at Fastworks.

I can generally get stuff like coilovers, poly inserts, blow off valves, boost controllers, intercoolers, braided brake lines, fuel injectors, wastegates, standalone ECUs, fuel cells, fuel pumps, engine build parts, etc. Stuff for big power and handling. Not so much for the basic entry level stuff.

My suggestions for starting out are to get an RRE underdrive pulley, DC Sports cold air intake, find yourself a used RRE header, and get a tune from Fastworks. It's the basic horsepower combo. At some point, coilovers (megan racing makes the cheapest that I feel anyone should consider, Godspeed makes some cheaper ones, then there's another company who may make a run of $400 ones that I'd avoid like the plague). Poly motor mount inserts are nice for reducing torque steer, sway bar upgrades should be done in conjunction with tire upgrades as needed, if needed. Lots of people like to throw on different headlights, some go for the tail lights too. The aftermarket tail lights have a bad history of the LEDs burning out inside them for the brake light, so keep that in mind. I know lowering springs look tempting, but unless you're gonna get them dirt cheap, I don't think they're worth it. On brand new struts they handle very nicely. So new struts, plus lowering springs, you're at least at $500, with economy struts. For that $500, those struts will wear quickly, I found I got about 10,000 miles out of a set of Monroe struts (which are generally quite high quality, lifetime warranty) before ride quality went to shit. I spent $350 on those struts alone, and traded a bottle of tequila for the springs. Even then, I don't think it was all that worth it, but it was cheap at $400 total investment. Spending the extra ~$500 over lowering springs will get you a set of struts and springs that will ride better, have height adjustment options, camber plates, and most importantly, they will last. In the winter I will likely be doing a bulk order from BC Racing on coilovers, and I don't think the price will be beatable anywhere else, so keep that in mind if you want to lower the car on performance coilovers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so how about this: I have about a grand that I can spend on my car. I want to get some sort of visual mods just to make the car a little bit cleaner (probably just gonna hit another scrap yard to see what I can get), and some performance mods. So for somewhere around $1000, what would you recommend? Also do you have a link to your shop? Can't find anything online

·
Basically Stock
6,054 Posts
www.velocityracingperformance.com but the website isn't finished. If you want to contact about something, contact me. The email on the website goes to the company owner. Safest bet for prices, find a model number somewhere, and if it's a company I can get, my price is less. All this stuff I'm linking is stuff I think that is most right for you, and is not stuff I get. If your budget jumped $2500 suddenly and you decided you wanted to add 200hp, then I'd be suggesting some very different items.

Cold air intake. You'll like the sound, it's probably gonna be your favourite mod. Lots of guys talk about hydro locking. I've literally driven my car down a flooded road using the nose to keep a wake going without issue, as well as have been less lucky, and was force into a deep flood on a highway where I stalled from water. No damage. Just don't throttle out. It takes a LOT of effort to suck water up the 2.75" diameter tube, and if water touches your MAF, the car shuts itself off anyway (dumps tons of fuel, too rich, stalls). The only person confirmed to have hydrolocked is a total moron who I'm sure was bouncing redline through a flooded road.
https://www.amazon.com/DC-Sports-CA...---------&vehicleName=2006+Mitsubishi+Eclipse

Ricey side skirt material, or to add a little low to the front bumper. Also protects vs light impacts. I'm guilty of using this, and plan to use it when I have proper skirts at the track too for a little better sealing under the car, without being worried about something hard that'll bottom out.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Sp...child=1&keywords=ez+lip&qid=1586296696&sr=8-6

Underdrive pulley. The easiest 7whp you'll ever bolt on. Slight fuel economy gains too
RRE 4G (2006-2012) Eclipse Products

Clay bar kit. Make the car cleaner than you'd have imagined it could look without a new paint job.
https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-0724...ild=1&keywords=clay+bar&qid=1586296849&sr=8-1

A generic 3/8" NPT barbed fitting (not worth more than $3, but it at a hardware store plumbing section). You throw this in at the throttle body to connect the throttle body heater line to itself instead of running through the throttle body. This results in denser air into the engine, for prolonged duration to avoid heat soaking

And of course, a timing belt kit. If you don't have a record of it being changed, change it ASAP. If the belt goes, so does your engine. Yours is in that hot area right now where they're running out of borrowed time if it's the original.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...timing+belt,+water+pump+&+component+kit,16088

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the car only has 12k miles on it, and I already had it examined by my friend that's a mechanic, and he said i shouldn't have to have anything replaced for a while, everything is essentially brand new. If bumping my budget up to 2.5k would make that substantial of a jump in hp, I think I'll just save for a few months, and then I should have that budget. If that's the route that I go, what would I be able to get in the mean time with the 1k that i already have?

·
F.N.G.
110 Posts
Wow, 12k? That's great, wish mine was.
Hey, back to your first statement about not finding anything (body kit wise) for less than a few hundred bucks. If you're looking at cheap body kits, just be aware you're probably looking at fiberglass instead of pvc plastic. If you hit ANYTHING with a fiberglass kit, it's going to shatter. Not split, not crack, shatter.
I've had a Razzi kit on my car since I bought it. It was pricey and I had it paint matched, so altogether I think it cost me about $1600 if I remember right, but I've had to replace it 3 times in 14 years, and that's a PVC part. Once I literally hit the entire top of an airconditioner that fell out of a truck in the middle of the highway going 75mph... it split the front end in two, but it was still all there and I could have patched it back together (luckily insurance just replaced it). Some of the smaller things (last year I hit a "gator back" [semi tire tread]) which would have totally destroyed a fiber glass front, all it did to mine was put a 3 inch crack on the bottom of one of the "teeth". Drilled a few holes, zip tied it underneath, no one is the wiser (I couldn't in good conscious hit my insurance for another front end for that).
Anyways, I've had terrible luck due to the front being so low to the ground and shitty Arkansas highways, but if you're going to spend any money on a kit, I'd really recommend getting plastic not FG. Just my 2 cents.

·
Basically Stock
6,054 Posts
Unfortunately your friend is forgetting that the car uses a belt for timing, not a chain. Belts dry rot over time, and yours wouldn't be the first low mileage car to see the motor dead by it snapping. The original belt is rubber, not kevlar.

Jumping your budget to 2.5k would make it very tight to do any big jumps, but maybe. It depends on what you can source at junkyards, and what you can build yourself.

Eg, turbo manifold is about $400, eBay garbage turbo $150(it won't last) or a decent basic turbo $700, MAP sensor $150, tuning $650, charge piping kit $100, intercooler $150, intake pipe and filter probably $50, BOV $250, wastegate $250, oil sandwich plate $10, injectors $275(630cc ones I have) Then you've got oil line, fittings, a bulkhead, downpipe, and miscellaneous things like oil that pop up. Probably in the $3200 area. You'll also want to have a larger exhaust. At even 8psi you could be breaking 300hp crank done right, so you don't want to restrict that in the stock exhaust pipe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts