Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just broke another key today in my 2006 Eclipse SE. Just as I turn the ignition, the plastic case of the key cracks and releases the metal part. This is the 2nd time it happened so I have been especially careful after the first incident. I do not know yet if the replaced key broke this time or one of the original two keys that came with the car broke. The Dealership warranteed the first key. Has anyone else had this experience? If it is not covered under insurance, the key is in excess of $200.

·
Head ball buster!!
1,136 Posts
Hmmm have had my car coming on 3 years here soon, and have never heard of this happening. I would think the dealer should keep warrantying it, unless you are being extremely harsh on the key.

peace

·
SOMEONE HAD TO BUY A GS..
2,681 Posts
i dropped my keys on the coffee table the other day and it broke in the exact same fashion. Try to be friendly with the dealer and they will either replace it under warranty or sell you just the plastic part, the full $200 includes the guts of the key, the plastic part itself is under 20 bucks but they wont always tell you that, the service guy at my dealer just gave me the plastic case of another key that they had replced under warranty...no charge

·
Registered
198 Posts
I broke my key a month ago and when i bought he car i got one key so i was screwed but i took it to the dealer and they said there was a recall on the key and i got 2 free keys:woohoo:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the dealership

Well I called the parts guy at the dealership and, this time, he told me about replacing the plastic case ($54 CDN) as opposed to the whole key. This guy is new and used to be in the back as a mechanic. That is probably why he told me about the cheaper plastic case replacement and reusing the original electronics. I was talking to his boss during the incident on the first key where they wanted to take me for the $200. Mind you the first key was more messed up, but still started the car if you put all the pieces back together. I will ask him to search for the recall that was mention above when I go in on Monday. It will make it a lot easier to get it replaced under warranty. The first time I had to make it very clear to them that it was either warranty or court before they actually warranteed the key. But that was two years ago when the car had not been out long and they assumed that I mishandled the key.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i have heard nothing about anybody breaking their keys man! thats some shitty luck there! and i didnt hear anything about a recall either. that key should be under the bumper to bumper warrenty so you should get another one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've seen no recall. Please post if you receive details. :)

I haven't had any key problems, but if there is a recall the info is bound to help other members.

·
What Drives You?
9,408 Posts
OT: Hubba-hubba! :naughty: Who dat in ur avatar yo?

:wub: I'd recall her - 100% dangerous :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had mine break 3 times and the first time it cost $80 . They replaced it free the 2nd time. I am going today on the third time, so we will see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts