Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a hackish tune, but it didn't go well. Michael thinks it's my spark plugs, but I don't have the tools to check at this time. Started as just some throttle weirdness and now this knocking has started. I reset to factory tune but haven't driven again since doing that. I'm going to drive it to work tomorrow and hope for the best.

My question is, does anyone know what the hell this sound means? Is it just from tune weirdness, or did something break?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LnaP8r5THI

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmm try checking your exhaust or pop the hood and rev the engine to see if you can hear it does it only do it when your moving?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I drove it to work and it's still doing it, so it's not the tune. It only happens under heavy acceleration, which leads me to believe something is just loose. At lunch I'll pop the hood and see if I can find anything, if I can't find anything, I'll check underneath when I get home. Heres hoping its an easy fix...

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The rear upper motor mount bolt fell out... go figure. The threading inside the transmission case is kind of fuckaroonied so I'm not surprised it fell out. I'm still getting a rattle but it's not as bad, it might just be from the actual case slapping the mount bracket. I'll try stuffing some foam in there later and see if that quiets the sound.

EDIT: Both bolts are missing... go figure. I guess the mechanic who changed my clutch didn't torque them down correctly. That solves this problem.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to see your bank account is still alive!
Not so fast... I have to get new bolts now (which cost about $5 each) and hope to god the threading in the transmission case isn't stripped. If it is, I either have to swap in a whole new transmission, or have the entire transmission taken out to be re-threaded. Either way, looking at an $800+ job... over two fcking bolts. To say I'm salty is an understatement.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is why I don't trust a shop to work on my car.
The guy I took it to had nothing but 5 star reviews for the past 15 years. In all honesty, he might have torqued the bolts down right but age just made them fail. The clutch was replaced 2 or 3 months ago so I cant imagine a failure to torque would take this long to show up.

Last shop I tried to go to forgot to torque the bolts in one of my calipers, and it popped off while I was on the freeway... I can't seem to catch a break.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sorry I'm coming to the party late. I listened to your video Andy, and I'm sure if I was you, when I would have heard that sound the first time I would have pissed myself. But fingers crossed, it sound like you've got it on the run my man. Best of luck! Hope to God shes not stripped :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts