Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i installed an injen cai a week ago and i think this may be the cause of my issues...i noticed after started the car and punching it down the street, once mivec kicked in around 4k rpms, my car studdered and wouldn't go any faster, kind of like i was hitting the rev limiter. So i stopped and looked in the engine, nothing noticeable... Then the next time i started it ( i turned the engine off and restarted it), the rpms didn't jump then come down, they went up to about 1k only, then back down to about the normal 600rpm...

Nothing happened over the next few days when there was no RAIN. Then today it started up weird after we just had a lot of rain, rpms only jumped to about 1k, then winded down to normal. then i left and went down the street and punched it again, once mivec kicked in the car kind of stopped and didnt want to "go" anymore. but after the car warmed up i didnt have any issues going on...

I think this has something to do with the CAI and rain?!?! This has never happened before and it didnt rain all last week after the intake (and a new n1 catback) was installed.

Any clues?!?!?!?! :(

·
Crazy Driver
110 Posts
Have you tried resetting the ECU?

·
Not Your Friendo
1,458 Posts
If it happened after the CAI, check for vacuum leaks. Make sure everything is in good shape and make sure everything is clamped on correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Also if the car is cold and hasn't heated up yet the ecu will prevent the car from going over about 4500rpm. I think it is in the owners manual somewhere. I know cause I done that in mine before. Once the car has reached normal temps it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reset the ecu after the install. doubled checked the piping yesterday...

Also if the car is cold and hasn't heated up yet the ecu will prevent the car from going over about 4500rpm. I think it is in the owners manual somewhere. I know cause I done that in mine before. Once the car has reached normal temps it will be fine.
^^this make sense, thanks bud!

but what about the low rpm starts?

·
I love To Drift
7,505 Posts
May sound odd but make sure all fuses are fine. I know someone that had something like this and it was one of the fuses under the hood. How or why is beyond me.

Also have you had your battery tested?
Terminals are on good and clean right ?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
reset the ecu after the install. doubled checked the piping yesterday...

^^this make sense, thanks bud!

but what about the low rpm starts?
My rpms only jump up to about 1k when I first crank the car and after a minute they go down to 600. To me that seems normal. I would to the ecu reset and relearn process.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I keep thinking "MAF" when I read this. Can't nail it down but that's where I go. Not sure how water would come into play. Aftermarket hood, maybe?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill have to reset and see if it does it at all...it doesn't do it every time, just once in awhile. Mike your 1k crank doesn't sound normal, mine jumps to almost 3k or so when istart itnormally. And no aftermarket hood, just my factory pos with hail dents and rock damage :p

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
3k wow that sounds high.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anybody elses engine rev up to almost 3k when started? 1k or less isn't normal, at least for me, and ill be going on 3 years with this car.

·
See ya losers delete acct
326 Posts
sounds like a vacuum leak, mine revs to 1200-1500, did it with the original intake, the cheap ebay intake and now with an AEM intake.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
With an injen CAI I only rev up to like 1500 when it starts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I lied, just started it, about 1500rpms... lol

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
This is the section in the owners manual that talks about the other issue you had when mivec tried to kick in but the engine just kind of stopped climbing in RPMs. It's in section 3-74.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ sweet good to know then! now if i could just figure out the weird start. Im not too worried though anymore, seemed the rain had an impact with the new cai since it started happening a week after i put it in, and we had just gotten rain -_-

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok SO it poured the last day or so and this morning everything was all dry and sunny out. i let the car warm up for about 10 minutes while i took my fiancee to work, come home and get on it, and mivec wouldn't kick in in 1st gear, and in 2nd it STRUGGLED to kick in. engine was warm by then so idk wtf is up!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts