Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Lancer Steering wheel on an Eclipse?

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  TheWidow 
#1 ·
Hey guys do y'all know anything about a Lancer steering wheel install on an eclipse?

I searched some forums on the past but they didn't really talk about if it worked if they had to buy any extra connectors or anything.

Is it plug and play? Will the buttons for cruise control and stereo still work? And what if I install an aftermarket stereo, will it work then?

If you guys know anything about this, let me know!

#12 ·
Yea. No cruise is a deal breaker. Theoretically, the radio controls would work the same, assuming you have the RF system. You would need the steering wheel, airbag, and clockspring. Depending on where you find it, you might have to buy them separately. I know the steering wheel is around $500 without the airbag.

The real question is how it works. If I'm not mistaken, the cruise control just has a bunch of resistors on the switch and two wires, and the ECU checks the resistance on those two wires. Given that the real estate for wiring in the steering wheel and clockspring is scarce already due to the airbag, I would assume that on the Evo X sttering wheel, it uses the same system but for the cruise, radio controls, paddle shifters, phone control, etc., and has separate resistor values for each, which the eclipse doesn't have the programming for.

Or it could be ass backwards and uses some board on the steering wheel to send the commands.

I'm really curious about the engineering behind it all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.