Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Eclipse GS, Headers, Catback, Intake
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the short rams are crappy, but I have a plan for a fog light pipe for actually cold air, soooo I want the short ram intake so that I can have the metal pipe instead of the bumpy rubber pipe. And I plan on wrapping the cai with heat wrap to reduce temps as much as I can! If someone could help me find one that isn’t extremely expensive and can ship that would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,658 Posts
The high pressure is on the nose of the car, not the sides. The fight light is a worse intake spot than stock, but then also has the added bonus of being lower to the ground where it'll see more water.

If you're going custom, you could do a hard pipe to the factory airbox with a cone filter inside.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As someone that has done exactly what you're proposing: don't.

Saber is right, you're exposing your intake to suck in more water than its prepared to handle. If you do follow through with this, just know that when it rains your car will be nearly useless since going over 3,000 rpm will result in a serious misfire usually #4.

Reactions: 4gKeaton

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're going custom, you could do a hard pipe to the factory airbox with a cone filter inside.
I'm very interested in this, do you know how this would compare to the injen short ram intake and would you also be able to explain a bit more how to do it?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm currently using a K&N drop in filter and I'm wondering how doing something like this would compare

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,658 Posts
You'd take a piece of pipe, get either a stock size Mitsubishi MAF housing section to connect with silicone couplers or make your own, and run pipe off the TB to the airbox, entering through a cut you make it the back of it. Inside, you just have your cone filter on the pipe as normal.

It would be superior to the short ram. Your drop in panel filter only works by reducing filtration, they suck

·
Registered
3 Posts
You'd take a piece of pipe, get either a stock size Mitsubishi MAF housing section to connect with silicone couplers or make your own, and run pipe off the TB to the airbox, entering through a cut you make it the back of it. Inside, you just have your cone filter on the pipe as normal.

It would be superior to the short ram. Your drop in panel filter only works by reducing filtration, they suck
Okay thank you! That helps a lot. I just have one more question, what material should I get?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aluminum preferably due to the weight, but mild steel piping or exhaust pipe is easier to work with welding wise. Don't worry about the pipe giving heat to the air, air is an insulator and is moving quite rapidly through the piping.
Thanks a lot. I'm guessing the ECU will automatically adjust to the changes as well?

I'll post on these forums after I actually make it :)

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,658 Posts
There will be less changes from your intake change from stock than you'd see driving during the day vs at night, so the ECU won't care, so long as you preserve proper airflow and keep the MAF tube diameter the same as stock, as every aftermarket intake does.

Aka, intake changes do almost nothing, and are an awful area to spend your money if you're looking for added performance

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know that the short rams are crappy, but I have a plan for a fog light pipe for actually cold air, soooo I want the short ram intake so that I can have the metal pipe instead of the bumpy rubber pipe. And I plan on wrapping the cai with heat wrap to reduce temps as much as I can! If someone could help me find one that isn’t extremely expensive and can ship that would be greatly appreciated!!
"THIS IS MY OTHER ACC"

Thank you guys for all the help and especially talking about the area of airflow! I still want to get an intake with an aluminum pipe cause right now I have a cone on the stock pipe so it's all rubber and flimsy, so I still will probably do an aluminum pipe, but I did cut up and put the stock ram air thing that clips to the radiator support for an added little colder air, IDK really if it changed much but I did see intake temps drop like a degree lol so not much. But again thank you guys very much it is greatly appreciated!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts