Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I got my 09 Spyder GS so I could learn to work on a car, and now that I've got my tool set, I'm planning to jump in with some intake modifications to build some confidence. Next week I plan to get my ducks in a row for a DC CAI install, TB bypass, GT TB swap, and intake resonator delete.

The only thing on the intake list that's eluding me is the TB thermo spacer. From what I understand, this mod has two functions. The first is to cool down the TB, and as a result, cool down incoming air into the engine. Makes sense. The second is allowing for the GT TB swap without modifying the GT TB (research says the EGR valve rubs in a way that keeps it from fitting). I found exactly one compatible spacer for the 09 GS, and it seems to be made out of metal (aluminum?) which seems like it would defeat the first purpose of the mod.

I did do my homework and comb through older posts about the swap and about spacers, but they all seem to refer to "Outlaw spacers" which appear to be extinct. I'm finding quickly that a great many things are now extinct for this car. :(

The price of a TB spacer compared to practical results is a bit high for my taste anyway, so is there a workaround? Could I possibly DIY a 7mm gasket of some sort? I've come across Honda owners making DIY spacers out of cheap plastic cutting boards, but something tells me this engine is too hot for that. Can I make something easily enough that will work? If not, what do I need to do to the GT TB in order to install it correctly?

FWIW I have a full set of hand tools but no power tools except for a 1500rpm drill, so anything too complex might be out of my league right now. Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I'm determined to squeeze a little more power out of this thing before I'm done with it!

·
2,510 Posts
I’d just do the intake pipe and the resonator blockoff

TB coolant bypass, and TB spacer will give u basically no gain if any and will cause more problems than they’re worth

GT TB has been shown to not give any more power either and you need tuned for it properly

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never heard of it, but Amazon sells it cheap enough.

If I read the other threads correctly, it would need to be 7mm thick to space the GT TB far enough to fit without modification? So I'd pick up some UHMW at maybe 1/4" thickness, trace the TB gasket and holes, cut and drill and I'm good?

I actually found my old Dremel 200 today while cleaning the basement, so this would be good timing.

A few extra questions;

1. Does the spacer need to be the same shape as the TB gasket/opening or can I just cut a similar sized rectangle?

2. The TB gasket would go on the TB side of the spacer I guess, but do I need something on the intake manifold side of the spacer (sealant, or another gasket maybe)?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was able to find high-heat UPHW that can withstand temps up to 275F. It's about double the price for the same thickness, but the UPHW on Amazon had a temp ceiling of 180F which seems a bit low to sit where the TB is. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that, you'll be saving me $10! :biggrin:

UHMWPE High Temperature Plastic Sheets, 12 x 12 to 48 x 120 Inch

Haven't bought the stuff yet until I know more about what exactly I need to do, but thanks for the material suggestion. This seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

I'm still a noob mechanic learning as I go, so if you see anything overtly stupid in what I'm about to attempt, feel free to lay the smackdown! I'd rather feel dumb on the internet than brick my engine. I can't afford repairs, I need coilovers! :fever:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts