Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was just wondering if anyone knows how much fuel is left in the tank when the light comes on. when i fill my car fully the needle goes about another quarter of a tank above the full mark, so does it go a quarter of the way past empty? and does anyone know if we have a reserve tank? my friends 08 GT mustang has a one gal reserve and i hadnt ever read or heard anything about ours having that

·
Aviator
2,588 Posts

mine got me 18 miles after the light came on, but I think I had more juice left because the car was running perfectly fine by the pump.

·
Lathe Master
3,876 Posts
I wouldn't push it that far regularly, but I've squeaked 26 highway miles out after the light without running out of gas.

·
Devil's Advocate
2,760 Posts
oh man, i think about a gallon. I run mine low on low every once and a while, Ive gone about 25-30 miles on E. I do know in the manual it says it is bad for the car to run on low all the time. Something with the catalatic converter? i could be wrong.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i've gone a decent amount with the light on
its hard not to at 4.25 a gallon

like 1 to 2 gal worth, but i definitely dont recommend it.

·
♥♣J-Hu$tle♣♠
5,563 Posts
Someone told im runing on E is bad in all cars with fuel injectors...That being like 99% of new cars

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I'm not sure about that statement, but in our manuals it says that our tanks hold 16 gallons (correct me if I'm wrong), but when I fill up after my gas light goes on, the tank is full and I put about 14 gallons. If thats the case I guess we have a good 2 gallons left in the tank once the lights pops up.

·
Kharl Lerrooooooy Jones
1,128 Posts
its not the best to run low on fuel. i usually try to keep it at 1/4 tank or higher at all times. i honestly dont think ive ever run the fuel low enough to see the gas light come on, but ive read our tanks hold 17.7 gallons of gas. i would assume the light comes on when there is about 1.7 left in the tank...

·
SOMEONE HAD TO BUY A GS..
2,681 Posts
It is approx 2 gallons, Ive tested it :)

and it can be bad for your fuel pump if you do it on a regular basis

·
Queen Goon
20,437 Posts
I freak out when my light turns on and head to a gas station ASAP.

Jason knows...I have called him and asked how much gas do I have..LOL I always think I only have 100 feet to go before I run out of gas, when my light turns on.

·
The dick of JUSTICE
3,088 Posts
^ lol. it makes your fuel pump work hard when the fuel doent completely cover it.
It also sucks all the crap that settles at the bottom of your tank into the injection system. Not good for your injectors.

Then the E light come on my dashhawk reads about 8% of the tank left.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey guys if it is true that our tank holds 17.7 then it has like 1.7 gal left when the needle is straight on E. i filled up before driving to college yesterday and the light was on and the needle was straight down on E and i put in something like 16.012 or something. sorry if i answered my own question. thanks for all the input

·
The dick of JUSTICE
3,088 Posts
hey guys if it is true that our tank holds 17.7 then it has like 1.7 gal left when the needle is straight on E. i filled up before driving to college yesterday and the light was on and the needle was straight down on E and i put in something like 16.012 or something. sorry if i answered my own question. thanks for all the input
I'm going by what sensor reads from tank rather then how much you pump in. The sensor will always read the same, but the pump could shut off early or late depending on the temperature of the fuel and amount of vapor.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts