Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm fond of digressive dampers as well, great for riding kerbs at speed. Sadly motorsport bilsteins with the adjustable shafts cannot be had with digressive pistons and we do not have the level of trackside support that occurs with circle racing in the USA (I don't know if Canada does the same motorsport?).
Interesting thoughts of a-arm and camber, but then double a-arm is different in this regard as camber wind-off with roll can be adjusted.
The TW on tyres seems a North American thing - I don't know anyone who refers to the numbers locally as TW is specified by the manufacturer? We usually specify compounds on motorsport tyres, but with our small market we might have less choice.
Do you use an ATB in the ME car?

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,972 Posts
We've got circle tracks scattered around, but they're usually just sprint cars and leagues for children from what I've seen. Not for for the rest of Canada, but that's how Ontario is. Mostly it's road course, and rally in the north for Ontario. There's a little bit of autocross in parking lots, and a little bit of drifting. But again, mostly road course.

Double A arm would be a lot nicer in that aspect for sure.

North America and England seem to do it a lot. It is by manufacturer, but it gives a general sense of the level of grip when you're dealing with non dedicated racing tires. Beyond TW classing, it tends to get very specific from what I've seen (eg, hoosier A7 instead of saying soft if that's what they run, or R7 for a medium, etc), but I'm not deep into the higher leagues. The team I'm on does endurance road course/GP circuits

I do use the ATB on my mid engine one, yeah. I really like the feel of it, and the torque vectoring works out great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Been busy at work again, sucks time away from important things!
I think I'm correct in assuming a road course is a dedicated race track?
Australia has the dirt speedway, but none of the sealed oval tracks. We have autocross, which is the same as the British - very tight courses around cones. Then khanacross - faster, usually on dirt, but some sealed. Around cones and mostly second gear stuff. Then hillclimbs, trackdays-sprints, dirt rally, sealed road rally long events - Targa Tasmania etc (big dollar stuff), drift and some other smaller events depending on location. Doing say hillclimbs/club events and sprints would mean an event every second week or so.
OK, the ATB is a priority. I've been looking at the option of a 6g75 Galant as a engine test bed - I've found two manual cars.

·
Basically Stock
7,972 Posts
Road course are closed off tracks, yes. The name is weird. They aren't ovals though, they have left and right turns. Very similar to the ww2 air bases converted to tracks in England.

6G75 Galant would be non MIVEC. Not a big issue, as you could have RPW in Australia make you a set of non MIVEC cams I suspect, and it would simplify the system and tuning at a cost of bottom end power. It may even come with the better cam trigger with more standalone support. I forget the exact patterns, I work with a factory ECU and some experimental software

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Interesting regarding the tracks - we have three proper race tracks in my state and a couple of smaller places suitable for non-race events.
All 6G75's sold locally were non-mivec. There was a very small number of supercharged versions produced by Ralliart. Local tuning efforts seem effective and involve the usual cleaning up the ports, exhaust and increasing the plenum size. Modified camshafts have been done, but I'm not sold on the improvement to value ratio - there is an increase in power, but at the expense of reducing the area under the curve. From what I can see, by the time you have done all of the above and spent time tuning (which may involve a piggyback ECU) you are in for at least $6-7,000. I think were I to spend that much money I would be more likely to look at forced induction - where the limitation for torque will be transmission related. Still very much speculating - as I need to find the ATB's

·
Basically Stock
7,972 Posts
EDIT: This is all useless and bad info[

Have you contacted Quaife with the part number? (QDH7B is what's cited everywhere on here for the 6M trans, and was written on the one I run)

Some options to consider for getting one that I found.
]

I'm not too familiar with the 6G75 non MIVEC plenum vs the MIVEC size wise. Are they similar? And have you guys seen any increases by running plenum spacers at the throttle body?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That's interesting - I was told I needed the QDH15B, which is NLA. Quaife will make a one-off - for $4.5K. as I did ask them.
The plenum modifications include cutting the plenum open and porting the intake, then adding a spacer to increase volume. It seems like a lot of work for the benefit

·
Basically Stock
7,972 Posts
I know on some older Jeep V6 engines, all you needed was a spacer between the throttle body and the plenum to add the volume needed to crank out extra power. It wasn't wild, but around 5hp for a spacer was a cheap easy gain. I haven't seen that tested on a 4G however, just claims of reduced intake temperatures (which is nonsense)

Also, nevermind, mine IS engraved QDH15B 09283

My mistake. But I wonder how all the fellas were running QDH7B here...

·
Basically Stock
7,972 Posts
Some possible options, or at least I didn't see it say out of stock

I'm going to put out a feeler post on Facebook as well on a 4G page, see if anyone has one sitting around

21 - 32 of 32 Posts