Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
8,161 Posts
Stock V6 has an unequal length manifold. Neat sound for a GS, but I'm curious what it would be like without the mic being blown out. Is it all just straight piped off the manifold?

Did you make it? Or did someone make it for you? Is there any math or flow tests that went into making this or is it just to try to sound cool?
Don't need much math, it'll flow worse than equal. Equal length gives exhaust scavenging across all 4 cylinders. Unequal length gives it across only 2, or potentially zero, depending on setup. It's why many vehicles with unequal length switch to equal length as an easy performance mod

· TheSlow4g
2007 AWD Turbo GS
287 Posts
Don't need much math, it'll flow worse than equal. Equal length gives exhaust scavenging across all 4 cylinders. Unequal length gives it across only 2, or potentially zero, depending on setup. It's why many vehicles with unequal length switch to equal length as an easy performance mod
I guess math wasn't the word I should've used. More like research. I know subaru guys often switch to ELH, I'm pretty sure my UEL headers are what did cylinder 4 in on my STi. Aside from sound and sometimes price, unequal doesn't have any good benefits. That being said, my STi will always stay unequal length because the sound is just so good. 😂

I just don't see it being practical for an eclipse. I'd rather just use the ELH that are already available.

· Basically Stock
8,161 Posts
I guess math wasn't the word I should've used. More like research. I know subaru guys often switch to ELH, I'm pretty sure my UEL headers are what did cylinder 4 in on my STi. Aside from sound and sometimes price, unequal doesn't have any good benefits. That being said, my STi will always stay unequal length because the sound is just so good. 😂

I just don't see it being practical for an eclipse. I'd rather just use the ELH that are already available.
I'd like to do equal length for my GT. Still plan to, eventually, lol. Just a lot has come onto my plate

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you make it? Or did someone make it for you? Is there any math or flow tests that went into making this or is it just to try to sound cool?
I had Henry's muffler shop on Capital Boulevard create it for me, and I installed it. Had to cut a hole through the hood so it fits, I've got a pipe sticking out through my hood so it looks kind of interesting for sure. It was just for the sound. I feel a very slight horsepower loss from it, obviously because it's not equal length. But low end torque seems to have gone up as a trade-off... I do like the rumble. And yes I wish I had a cell phone that didn't have a blown out microphone so I could record a better video...

· Basically Stock
8,161 Posts
I had Henry's muffler shop on Capital Boulevard create it for me, and I installed it. Had to cut a hole through the hood so it fits, I've got a pipe sticking out through my hood so it looks kind of interesting for sure. It was just for the sound. I feel a very slight horsepower loss from it, obviously because it's not equal length. But low end torque seems to have gone up as a trade-off... I do like the rumble. And yes I wish I had a cell phone that didn't have a blown out microphone so I could record a better video...
Maybe a friend has one and wouldn't mind recording. It has a lot of Mustang similarities now, but I can't really make out if that's the mic blowing or actual sound.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe a friend has one and wouldn't mind recording. It has a lot of Mustang similarities now, but I can't really make out if that's the mic blowing or actual sound.
Hey Sabertooth, any updates on getting a computer tune for these cars? I really want a pops and bangs tune to go with the unequal header...I found this shop on Facebook that claims they can tune these cars via remote tune, and it seems like they are pretty legit and have videos about tuning all makes and models, but they're located in Puerto Rico, so I'm not sure how that would even work.. ..https://www.facebook.com/dynocenterpr/

· Basically Stock
8,161 Posts
Yeah I've already done a handful for people, everyone has been happy. It would be nice to work on a unique build like this.

I still really hope for a video where the mic doesn't get blown one day.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I've already done a handful for people, everyone has been happy. It would be nice to work on a unique build like this.

I still really hope for a video where the mic doesn't get blown one day.

Oh wow I really want that tune now. I can only imagine how epic pops and bangs would sound with unequal length headers and such a loud exhaust setup... So I just need the Tactrix Openport 2.0 cable, but I do NOT need the Mitsubishi adapter??? It says on the instructions:
Tactrix Openport 2.0 Cable which can be purchased direct from Tactrix
(Mitsubishi adapter is NOT used on 4G Eclipses)
Also, I live in Raleigh, North Carolina, I see the price as $480 CAD how much is that in US Dollars?? And do I pay through PayPal or how do I pay for it after I add it to the cart?? Will my bank automatically make the adjustment into US Dollars when I buy it or how does that work?? Also, is there a way I can get a final tune WITHOUT having to do the datalog?? When I got my Fiat 500 Abarth tuned by Tork Motorsports we did not do any sort of data log I just sent him my stock ECU files and he e-mailed me back the tune and that was it. Though we did have to re-vise it and drop the boost down to 22psi instead of 24 because it would knock on hard acceleration sometimes. But we did not do any sort of datalogging, so I was wondering what the purpose of doing it is, especially on a N/A engine. I mean I've been driving my Fiat for 6 months now with the tune and it seems to be doing great. Just seems like the datalogging part would be really complicated and a lot of extra work...

· Basically Stock
8,161 Posts
Correct, no adapter needed. I bought one out of curiosity, it seems more like for cars with limited space than any sort of actual adapter.

Your choice of payment will come in USD in your account, and be converted to CAD. No need for a CAD bank account.

90% of cars don't need an adjustment from the first file. And the worst one I've encountered, he still had less knock on my first revision tune than factory (most have about twice the knock factory as my tune has seen at worst, and his was fouled up badly and hot spotting after pulls). If you want to go single file only, load that, and call it a day, we can go that route for sure. The data logging is just how I make sure it's dialed right in for each person's car, as these are far from factory fresh.

It's not a lot of extra work to do a data log in Fastworks. You tick the boxes, click to start datalogging, click to stop, then, email me the file. But if you're familiar, the good news is that the tuning software is unlocked, which is really uncommon at the price. You can make adjustments yourself if you'd like (unlike, say, Motoza for twice the price on a VW where you can't make any adjustments, or the EFI Live/Ez Lynk I have for diesel truck stuff where it's locked out)

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Umm I downloaded Fastworks but when I open it I'm getting two error messages. "Unable to create uploads directory. This normally indicates that you do not have the correct permissions set"
And the second one Directory C:/users/Aleks/appdata/roaming/Fastworks/outgoing couldn't be created (Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.)"

Attachments

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct, no adapter needed. I bought one out of curiosity, it seems more like for cars with limited space than any sort of actual adapter.

Your choice of payment will come in USD in your account, and be converted to CAD. No need for a CAD bank account.

90% of cars don't need an adjustment from the first file. And the worst one I've encountered, he still had less knock on my first revision tune than factory (most have about twice the knock factory as my tune has seen at worst, and his was fouled up badly and hot spotting after pulls). If you want to go single file only, load that, and call it a day, we can go that route for sure. The data logging is just how I make sure it's dialed right in for each person's car, as these are far from factory fresh.

It's not a lot of extra work to do a data log in Fastworks. You tick the boxes, click to start datalogging, click to stop, then, email me the file. But if you're familiar, the good news is that the tuning software is unlocked, which is really uncommon at the price. You can make adjustments yourself if you'd like (unlike, say, Motoza for twice the price on a VW where you can't make any adjustments, or the EFI Live/Ez Lynk I have for diesel truck stuff where it's locked out)
Hey I'm getting a couple error messages when I open Fastworks do you have any idea to what might be going on?

Attachments

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Something in your windows permissions.

I can get you an older copy to install tomorrow which for some reason windows doesn't hate, then you can install the current version over top of it
I have another question, what is the e-mail address that I send my stock tuning files to? I didn't see one on the Speed Farm Garage website...

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Something in your windows permissions.

I can get you an older copy to install tomorrow which for some reason windows doesn't hate, then you can install the current version over top of it
I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the program, running it as Administrator, running it in compatibility mode (Windows 8) I went into the permissions tab and checked every box that I could, it still doesn't open and gives me the same error message. Ugh I really wanted that pops and bangs tune. Now the future's not looking so bright...Did you want to e-mail me that older version to try out? It's [email protected]

· Basically Stock
8,161 Posts
I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the program, running it as Administrator, running it in compatibility mode (Windows 8) I went into the permissions tab and checked every box that I could, it still doesn't open and gives me the same error message. Ugh I really wanted that pops and bangs tune. Now the future's not looking so bright...Did you want to e-mail me that older version to try out? It's [email protected]
Sent in an email

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sent in an email
Okay I got to the part where it says "your software license request has been generated" if this computer is connected to the internet, the software can contact the license server and create an account automatically. To begin this process, select the "server upload" option below. I did, and it says "unable to load new license". Is that because I have to buy the tune first or something??

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay so the older version seems to work, when I open it says "If you are a registered user please enter your email address and password to download your license. If not, you may register your software by clicking the "Register" button down below. "
Okay I just tried to login to it and now it's saying "unable to load system template files. You are probably missing files or your templates path is not properly configured"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts