Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
we bent it back up and welded it back shut. She runs a whole lot better. Check engine light came on of course but she runs good. I’m gonna check one more time tomorrow to make sure it’s all out. Is there anything I can do to get the O2s to think that the cat is good? Maybe some extenders?

·
2,691 Posts
we bent it back up and welded it back shut. She runs a whole lot better. Check engine light came on of course but she runs good. I’m gonna check one more time tomorrow to make sure it’s all out. Is there anything I can do to get the O2s to think that the cat is good? Maybe some extenders?
Tune from Fastworks, can also do spark plug defoulers stacked, 1 drilled to 1/2 inch on the sensor then an unmodded one on top of that, for each sensor, but that method is kind of finnicky and you still might get a code every now and then

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A tune from fast works seems easiest. How would I get one of those done and how much does it cost? Should I take the section of exhaust down that goes between the manifold and the third cat to see if anymore of its stuck in there? We only cut open the third cat and hollowed it out and revved it a couple times to blow it out. She’s running pretty good but I can’t stop thinking that some is still stuck in the pipe cause there’s an elbow that goes up before the third cat and I can’t see how any big pieces would make it past that point.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,172 Posts
It wouldn't hurt anything to take your exhaust all apart and make sure it's cleared out.

As for the tune, Alex Kazmirchuk on Facebook does the Fastworks tunes these days.

350usd for a basic NA tune. An Openport 2.0 cable and laptop are needed. The process is all online, and is a bit slow with the huge demand and only 1 guy doing it, so don't be surprised by that

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It wouldn't hurt anything to take your exhaust all apart and make sure it's cleared out.

As for the tune, Alex Kazmirchuk on Facebook does the Fastworks tunes these days.

350usd for a basic NA tune. An Openport 2.0 cable and laptop are needed. The process is all online, and is a bit slow with the huge demand and only 1 guy doing it, so don't be surprised by that
Alright awesome. Thanks for the tips man. You guys saved my car. I would’ve never looked at the cat had I not posted here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
98991 miles. I’ve regrettably put almost 5K on her in the last month due to being very busy and driving 40 miles away for work daily but it’s been the best and funnest 5K miles I’ve ever driven.

·
2,691 Posts
98991 miles. I’ve regrettably put almost 5K on her in the last month due to being very busy and driving 40 miles away for work daily but it’s been the best and funnest 5K miles I’ve ever driven.
That’s pretty early for a bad cat, must’ve been city miles on it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A lot of my driving has been stop and go. I’m not sure about the people that had it before me but I’m sure it was city miles. I’ve never seen a car crumble to pieces the way mine did.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hey, this is answering a question you asked earlier but no my timing belt hasn’t been changed. It’s the original belt as far as I know. Is that a bad thing?

·
2,691 Posts
Really? So I need to replace it? How much does replacing it cost?
If you don't want your engine to blow then yeah replace it, if you're cool with it blowing up then don't
About $200 for parts, labor at a shop add another $300-500 or so
Make sure to find a shop where they know how to do this properly! And will do all of the components involved including water pump, balance shaft belt, tensioner, pulleys, etc.
If nothing else, a Mitsu dealer will do it for about $1,200 and prob have the master mechanic on the job

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I can’t afford to pay Mitsubishi to do it. I’m a little pressed on money right now. It might be something I can do myself. I’m pretty mechanically handy but I’ve never replaced a timing belt before. Is it a hard repair?

·
2,691 Posts
I can’t afford to pay Mitsubishi to do it. I’m a little pressed on money right now. It might be something I can do myself. I’m pretty mechanically handy but I’ve never replaced a timing belt before. Is it a hard repair?
I mean it's not easy, and you don't wanna mess it up
But it is DIYable if you watch some videos and look at the FSM

21 - 35 of 35 Posts