Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I used a full system scan tool to scan every module in my eclipse, and other than the P0455 large evap leak that I'm aware of, I was able to read a bunch of other codes out of some of the more obscule modules of the car, like U1111 which is apparently always set in a few of the modules according to the FSM, as well as U1703 which is always set if you don't have a sunroof, but the one code that would keep coming back other than those two was in the A/C module for B1012, which the FSM says is Ambient air temperature sensor system (open circuit), which is apparently up in the left front corner of the car hidden in the front bumper.

This sensor is most likely just gone as my car was a wrecked car that we rebuilt and this is the corner that it was hit in, previous owner probably wrecked it because of the ABS recall and the squishy brake pedal and rear ended someone.

Does anyone know anything else about this sensor, why would the manual A/C system need the outside temp if my car has a manual A/C system not an automatic one? The manual A/C module still uses the outside temp in some way to control the A/C and heat?

·
Registered
69 Posts
P0455 large evap leak - jack your car up and check the top of your gas tank...there's a 5/16 inlet pipe about an inch long that's probably rusted off. It's a common problem in areas that use salt. You have to replace the tank.

The A/C system also will not engage the compressor below a certain temperature (winter) as it would freeze the evaporator core. So it needs to know the outside air temperature as a fail safe.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P0455 large evap leak - jack your car up and check the top of your gas tank...there's a 5/16 inlet pipe about an inch long that's probably rusted off. It's a common problem in areas that use salt. You have to replace the tank.

The A/C system also will not engage the compressor below a certain temperature (winter) as it would freeze the evaporator core. So it needs to know the outside air temperature as a fail safe.

Yeah car is a little rusty underneath, so the whole gas tank needs replaced most likely? No way to patch up the lines with rubber hosing, or is it the gas filler neck?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah car is a little rusty underneath, so the whole gas tank needs replaced most likely? No way to patch up the lines with rubber hosing, or is it the gas filler neck?
You will likely need both. The filler necks rot beyond recognition and if that 5/16 nipple is rusted off the tank, it's not repairable. You can get an aftermarket tank and filler neck. Have a look, put your hand over the top of the tank where you see vacuum hoses and give a slight pull. Here is a video of a 3G Eclipse fuel filler neck replacement. Besides the rear backing plates for the brakes, the filler neck and the top gas tank vent hose nipples, nothing else really rusts on the undercarriage. Video:

https://youtu.be/oXuPHoZI3pU

·
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will likely need both. The filler necks rot beyond recognition and if that 5/16 nipple is rusted off the tank, it's not repairable. You can get an aftermarket tank and filler neck. Have a look, put your hand over the top of the tank where you see vacuum hoses and give a slight pull. Here is a video of a 3G Eclipse fuel filler neck replacement. Besides the rear backing plates for the brakes, the filler neck and the top gas tank vent hose nipples, nothing else really rusts on the undercarriage. Video:

https://youtu.be/oXuPHoZI3pU

So without that ambient air temperature, my A/C system just loses the safety feature of not turning on in the winter? Is that all?

Ok and as far as the evap leak, after filling it up with gas it does smell real bad as the fumes all leak out, from somewhere, but if I go backwards and push the brakes pretty hard, upon going forward again the car will have left a little gas trail behind it.

I really doubt my mechanic or my wallet wants to drop the gas tank to install a new one lol, filler neck could do

·
Registered
69 Posts
So without that ambient air temperature, my A/C system just loses the safety feature of not turning on in the winter? Is that all?

Ok and as far as the evap leak, after filling it up with gas it does smell real bad as the fumes all leak out, from somewhere, but if I go backwards and push the brakes pretty hard, upon going forward again the car will have left a little gas trail behind it.

I really doubt my mechanic or my wallet wants to drop the gas tank to install a new one lol, filler neck could do
Yes.

The gas smell def is the filler neck and or the gas tank. My guess is likely both. I just did my wife's. It's a bitch of a job. Here's the filler neck...just double check the year.

Spectra Premium Spectra Fuel Filler Neck FN911
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZPWH9K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.E4tCbQF4VH09

·
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes.

The gas smell def is the filler neck and or the gas tank. My guess is likely both. I just did my wife's. It's a bitch of a job. Here's the filler neck...just double check the year.

Spectra Premium Spectra Fuel Filler Neck FN911
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZPWH9K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.E4tCbQF4VH09

Ok that is good, because I'm not sure if the harness plug or wiring is all still in tact after the car was in the front end collision for that ambient air temperature actually, I did get junkyard airbag components and got the airbag system all happy so that makes me feel safe enough. Only codes I get now are for this ambient air temperature sensor missing B1012, and engine code P0455 large evap leak, I gutted my headers and used Hackish's tune to tune out my rear O2 sensor codes yelling at me for no cats in the header, I did keep my 3rd cat though for the deeper sound, legality against local police, it still looks A-OK visually, and could theoretically pass an echeck as far as the cats go if I got this evap fixed.
Wish it was like ECUFlash and RomRaider for my '02 WRX tho where I have a tune with disabled codes for rear O2 sensor (it actually doesn't even have one, no bung in my custom exhaust either lol), TGV codes deleted, and EGT codes deleted, with readiness monitors set forced to Good.

And dang, I really would like to get the big yellow annoying light to go away, and make my SES light be useful to let me know if something else actually popped up, as I will never know since it's always on for this one code, but I think dropping the gas tank might be a little much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts