Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MDG 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, hope you all are doing well.

So my 07 GT (6-speed) is experiencing two misfire codes. At first, it was P0304, so I checked the front bank of spark plugs and found the plugs and boots to be covered in oil. I changed the valve cover gasket and tube seals on those, and the code went away. I checked after driving a bit and the plugs/boots are no longer dripping with oil. I did NOT change the rear valve cover gasket/tube seals under the upper intake plenum.

Just to confirm my understanding, the cylinders are numbered as followed if you're standing in front of the car facing the engine:
1 2 3
4 5 6

... correct?

I drove maybe 70 miles last week, ran great with no codes and parked it for a day or so. I went to go on a weekend trip only to discover the SES light was on AGAIN, but this time for P0302 misfire. It seems to idle a little high, but not terrible overall. I hardly even noticed the P0304, and was only alerted to it via the SES light.

Now, I've gone and removed the intake manifold plenum (which I REALLY did not want to do... again) because I figured it was the same problem as the fronts, but it turns out the plugs and boots are already dry. The plugs are NGK iridiums, and were only changed less than 20k miles ago (currently @ about 155k, timing belt was done not long after plugs) so I don't think it's that. I have not checked the gap yet, but I don't see why that would suddenly come about so soon.

My question is this: what tests could I do while it's all torn apart like this? What should I look for? Should I just put it back together and run some injector cleaner/marvel mystery oil through it? Should I bother changing the valve cover gasket if no oil is leaking? I've read that these codes can sometimes come and go.

Any input is appreciated. Let me know if I missed any important details.

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
A misfire can be something as simple as a vacuum leak. My GS misfire ended up being a MAF not reading correctly. I would just look everything over. If it's giving you a misfire on a certain cylinder than switch that coil pack out to another cylinder test it, than if that doesn't make the code move to said cylinder move the fuel injector to a different cylinder.

#3 ·
The fun never stops... as I was going to put the plenum back on I noticed one of the wires on the connector going to the #1 injector pulled out.

I stripped back the insulation a bit, popped out the grommet and crammed the wire back into the connector but I can't get it to stay in there. Does anyone know how the wire "taps" into the connector? Can I fix this without cutting it off and starting over?

But hey, at least when I started the car (initially thinking I had successfully re-secured that wire) I was only getting OBD codes relating to that so... progress??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.