Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving today on the freeway and I was in second gear to overtake a big semi, but I didn’t realize I had to shift! (stupid me) so the the tach bounced off the limiter and I just hear my exhaust go “pop pop pop” and the car shut off. I coasted into a gas station, tried to start it up, and it would start but die... I started it up, and if I kept the revs up it would stay on, but it would sound really really rough. Regardless, I drove it home like that, it was about 7 miles, and it drove fine apart it from dying at every red light... I’m hoping maybe my spark plugs got drenched in oil or something since I have a leaking valve cover gasket that I haven’t changed. Car has full oil on the dipstick and has 120k miles. ‘06 GT and had no underlying problems that I know of, except a clogged cat. (Another possible culprit?) mechanic is coming by in the morning to check it out, but just wanted to get some opinions to in case anyone has any ideas.

·
1,969 Posts
Sounds like the timing belt jumped timing?
Don’t think so man, we have interference engines. If it was that, I highly doubt the car would even start, let alone drive 7 miles! But you never know I guess, hoping it’s not
You can jump a tooth or two and it still run without bending the valves but it’ll run terribly which sounds like what you have going on, I’d take it straight to a mechanic to get the timing belt looked at or towed there if it’s too far or running too bad

When did it have a timing job last?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can jump a tooth or two and it still run without bending the valves but it’ll run terribly which sounds like what you have going on, I’d take it straight to a mechanic to get the timing belt looked at or towed there if it’s too far or running too bad

I’m gonna be honest man, I have no clue... the car just hit 120k. I bought the car with 109k and I asked the owner and he said he had no idea either as he bought it used as well. I had a mechanic look the car over before I bought it, and he said it was straight, but I guess there really is no sure way to see when a timing belt was done unless there’s paperwork for it. I have the whole Gates timing belt kit because I was gonna do the job literally yesterday, but my mechanic couldn’t do it because it was raining hard (he comes to my house to do work). So IF it is that, I guess he’ll just do the job for me tomorrow since I already have all the parts. If it is that, do you think there could be possible engine damage?

·
1,969 Posts

I’m gonna be honest man, I have no clue... the car just hit 120k. I bought the car with 109k and I asked the owner and he said he had no idea either as he bought it used as well. I had a mechanic look the car over before I bought it, and he said it was straight, but I guess there really is no sure way to see when a timing belt was done unless there’s paperwork for it. I have the whole Gates timing belt kit because I was gonna do the job literally yesterday, but my mechanic couldn’t do it because it was raining hard (he comes to my house to do work). So IF it is that, I guess he’ll just do the job for me tomorrow since I already have all the parts. If it is that, do you think there could be possible engine damage?
There possibly is damage but I’d say probably not if the belt didn’t break and is still running now if it’s not making weird knocking noises

I’d have a mechanic do a timing belt kit on it right now and if fixes it then good if it still has problems then you know it has more serious engine damage

Did you not know how important the timing belt service is on these? Saber and I are always on top of telling people to get this done ASAP lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There possibly is damage but I’d say probably not if the belt didn’t break and is still running now if it’s not making weird knocking noises

I’d have a mechanic do a timing belt kit on it right now and if fixes it then good if it still has problems then you know it has more serious engine damage

Did you not know how important the timing belt service is on these? Saber and I are always on top of telling people to get this done ASAP lol
I do know, trust me! I’ve had 4 of these cars lol. I was gonna do it yesterday, but weather didn’t permit, my luck! I’ll update tomorrow and let you know what it is!

·
1,969 Posts

I do know, trust me! I’ve had 4 of these cars lol. I was gonna do it yesterday, but weather didn’t permit, my luck! I’ll update tomorrow and let you know what it is!
Ok that’s good dude sorry about your bad luck with it though

·
140whp+15.72%= 162hp
407 Posts
Do you have a CAI? Once after paying the phone bill i accidentally dropped my bank envelope with $600 in it and drove to another location. When i find my envelope missing i book it back to the shopping center where i paid the phone, half way there from litterally flooring it the same symptoms occured. I was crapping myself. I thought i screwed up my car and lost $600 bucks in the process. When i got back i found the envelope had been run over by other customers but other than that overlooked and with my money inside. Popped the hood and found out my CAI had comed off my throttle body allowing unfiltered and MAF unread air into the engine from the hard pulls causing the car to die at every red light unless it was revved high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts