Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 4G community, it has been awhile sense I have verbally been active on the form. I pop in and out but haven't said much lately. I have been plinking away at my latest build. Im veering away from the matte white paint to head back to a sportier color. I very much like the TRD yellow but will attempt to richen the color using black primer this time around. Our cars have a very nice body in my opinion. The Eclipses unique style of curves gains the eyes attention and I want to enhance these features. Im specifically speaking about our fenders and rear end of the car. Here is some of my work, it is currently sitting in the rough stage but hopefully you can expand your mind to see my vision. Feel free to leave feedback or input. I have had the idea of doing a widebody for years, now its time to make it happen. With the many changes I have done to this Eclipse I have been debating on changing the cars "name". I feel as if Mitsubishi GT Elite is appropriate. Give me ideas if you feel otherwise. Thank you guys

·
TheSlow4g
2007 GS SE Turbo (In Progress)
147 Posts
I agree, the exhaust out the bumper looks very cool. I would love to see more on this build.

·
Registered
61 Posts
looking pretty nice, like how GTRs are a bit thicker than GTSTs or their sedan models, though this is a bit less subtle than Nissan's design but I very much like the looks, and I think its pretty cool and neat, I am looking forward to seeing the final product.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neat. What's the material under the bondo?
I’m using expanding foam to get a general shape, come with bondo to get a better surface and then come with my fiberglass to get a actual structure. It’s a process. I thought it would be easier but there’s a bit of work involved making sure everything is linear. Kinda stressful.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you covering it in mould release and removing the foam and bondo after the fiberglass is done? I was thinking of doing that for a widebody
No I’m not using a release agent to cast a mold so to speak, I’m just building it on top of one another and relying on the fiberglass for structural strength. The process your talking about is better cause you reduce weight not having all the bondo and other agents still under the body. I’m just cheating out.

·
What Drives You?
9,408 Posts
Interesting project. FWIW, try not to rely on layers of sandwich for strength. Most people will think that's a good thing (thickness), but remember that fiberglass, or most polymer-based impreg builds will not really hold up well over time. They will crack - and weight is one of the reasons they would. Another is if done at different curing times (no real bonding at the molecular level).

Air-dried preg builds end up being brittle. The best thing you can do is create a negative of a final product, then producing a vacuum-molded part. That's what I would do. Two layers of fabric on epoxy resin. Shouldn't matter if it's glass or something else more froo-froo. That would give you the most strength and reliability.

Good luck.

·
Authorized Kool Kid
2006, Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
34 Posts
Looks mean, absolutely love the fenders!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks amazing! I'm getting Gundam vibes from the angular contours introduced. What muffler is that? I'm assuming this is the V6 due to the downpipe diameter. I'd love to hear a sound clip someday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts