Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
140whp+15.72%= 162hp
407 Posts
I just took a peek at your thread in 4gworld... man I need to buy a 4G69 engine and pull it appart so I can learn more on my own. I honestly fear my car breaking on me but if I can pull the engine appart and put it back together I will have no barriers. Same for the transmission.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
All said and done, I could probably re-do my entire build so far for about 13k (ignoring parts not yet installed), with a $2000 blown motor car with a good body. I could do the engine again for $3500, turbo setup for another $2500 (I'd just jump straight to my future $5500 setup though), suspension for $1000(I'd do coilovers though, not fresh monroe struts and lowering springs), gauges for $400, tuning for $700ish, fluids, clutch for $700 (although I'd jump to the big boy clutch I want for $1800 with a steel flywheel), then miscellaneous things. There's definitely some money into this build, but for what it is, I don't think I could buy something faster or cooler for less. I could definitely build something faster for less, but it would be more generic (Genesis coupe 2L, 8g civic, 90s camaro V8 (big or small block), fox body (5L), S-10 (junkyard 5.3 swap), etc)

Those prices are my rates though, and me doing all the same fabrication I already did before (paying someone to make the parts and install could easily add another $5000+)

I'd certainly do some things differently, I'd save a bunch of money on stuff that didn't work well by not making those mistakes twice. Plus, I pay a lot less for parts now than I ever had before. I try to steer people away from bad mods on this car so often because I've done so many of them to see how they do, and moved away from them.

On the topic of the fuel pump, I think I'll just drop my spare walbro 450 in this week, maybe Wednesday. I've got twin 525s ready to drop in, but don't have the lines, pressure regulator, fuel rail, or pressure gauge yet.

I've got enough mods lined up for the summer as is, so if I can save myself the work of an entire new fuel setup, I'd like to (brake calipers, rotors, pads, lines, e brake cable, injectors, stiffer wastegate actuator, moving some OEM stuff, maybe a trunk mounted battery, some aero stuff I've been putting off, AC compressor delete (needed the belt, but was too busy last summer to do something petty like that). It's small-ish stuff. But I'd like to enjoy the car this summer at the tracks rather than be wrenching the entire season.

·
140whp+15.72%= 162hp
407 Posts
Gauges... I been wanting those just for looms since I dont plan to boost. I'll search here for a how to thread on those. How long have you been building your car?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Damn man, that’s good info right there and if I end up going boost in the future which will be the case honestly since I want to stand out yet still be fast (I’ve always liked odd ball cars, my previous car was a 12’ Altima coupe FBOs no tune I had fine with that car, but decided to Parts ways got a good deal on it and now I have this but the 4G Has ALOT MORE POTENTIAL that’s for sure) anyways after I’m done maxing out the 6g75 NA wise THEN ILL PULL GHE PLUG for boost, I’ll probably hit you up “ Sabertooth^2 for parts and stuff I read you make you own parts or know someone, I know a welder or two around my area, so that’s won’t be a problem as far as welding goes.

·
140whp+15.72%= 162hp
407 Posts
Orange calipers to go with the orange car now

Used Hemi Orange engine paint

Also removed rust from anything behind the wheel that had any, and coated the metal in black enamel. Gonna be in pretty damn good shape for the next owner if that ever happens.
~raises hand~ im in line. Lol! Your ride looks very nice.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Bad news--as of yesterday, they aren't orange anymore. I put my 4 pots on the front, and 2 pots on the back. The new rear rotors are bigger than the old fronts, lol

Stock GS Specs:
Front are 26mm thick, 294mm diameter.
Rear are 8.4mm thick, 262mm diameter

Evo 8 specs:
Front are 32mm thick, 320mm diameter
Rear are 22mm thick, 300mm diameter.

That extra thickness is gonna add major cooling ability, and thermal capacity

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
I was probably $1150 in, all together, with braided lines. $120 for 2 sets of pads (because of a stocking issue), $350 in rotors, $500 calipers and rebuild, $200 braided lines. I bought a set of evo lines, found the fronts work, and then civic lines for the rear which need a different flare from factory, so don't do it. Evo front lines should work on the rear, however, and will still be cheaper than buying eclipse lines

High carbon rotors
Carbon metallic and a set of ceramic pads
Braided steel lines
Rebuild kit (just for fronts)

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Sure did. Ones that retail for about $1500 new though, so I'm still giving it to Sparda on that. About $2200 with pads and rotors, so still far short of Stoptech

OEM replacements, even brought over from a Porsche, are usually much cheaper than going with anything "made for" a specific car (they're not, they already existed, they just had to see which ones fit)

Eg, you can run Audi S4 brakes on a VW Passat

If I could step back and do this over again, I may have tried using Evo X brakes instead, even if it meant making a mounting bracket (not sure). The evo X brakes are a little bigger, and I feel that I may need that in the future. But Evo 8/9 brakes should be a massive upgrade, and with how they engage and how it biases more in the rear than stock, I can already feel a significant increase in braking ability before I overload my tires (stock brakes used to overload my front tires quickly)

·
140whp+15.72%= 162hp
407 Posts
I seem to be oblivious to brake different feels. I just notice my brakes grip harder if i press them a second time in the same brake time. 🤗

·
2,868 Posts
Check the recalls, if it has already been done then a dealer just flushed the fluid and marked it done, to fix it for real, the ABS module needs to be completely replaced, that’s what my dealer did luckily

241 - 260 of 293 Posts