Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2009 & 2012 GT owner
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
So apparently, the heat over this past summer somehow lifted the padded covering that tucks up under the hard plastic dash just above the glove compartment.

I plan to post pics tomorrow when it's daylight but if you have heard of, or seen this before, can anyone tell me what the best adhesive is for me to use? (Maybe a Hot-Glue?).

The car is a 2012 Eclipse GT, fully loaded and leather seats. However, I don't know if the entire interior is leather, (it may be).

As it is, the edge of the padded section that 'warped up' and out from under the hard plastic part of the dash, has a 1/2" lip.

It seems that the heat of the day softened an adhesive used to hold down that padded section along the entire seam. In this case, the section of the padding running from the far right corner, (before it curves downward near the door), on toward the drivers-side for about 14" or 16", lifted up as if it 'warped' when the night cooled it down.

There's no tearing, and I've been 'reforming' it back to shape for the last 3 or 4 days by applying pressure back down on the raised edge of this dash.

I'm using a home-made telescopic bar and wedging it between the ceiling and lifted edge of the dash and locking it there for the entire day. Then the next day, I move it over and adjust the telescopic bar to apply pressure to another section for another whole day.

I moved it again the day after that, and I've been doing that for the past 4 days and it's working but I still need to glue it down. The question is, what's the best glue for this?

Please consider that the adhesive has to resist the high heat of the day and the fact is, I really need something that acts fast, at least fast enough to hold the section down on it's own after 30 to 60 seconds.

The room I have to work in is very limited and a spray adhesive won't be any good because I can't fit the can in there in order to accurately spray the glue.

I do have a Hot-Glue gun and I'm wondering if there's an appropriate adhesive that comes in that form, does anyone know?
Thanks,
Rich

·
2009 & 2012 GT owner
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Folks,
I did think about using a good super glue but I thought there might have been a more ‘official adhesive’. Frankly, I’m surprised Mitsubishi didn’t use screws because they didn’t leave much excess to glue it down with.

In 2008, I bought a new 2008 Eclipse GT Coupe that was all black, (inside & out) and I traded it in for a new 2012 in 2012. I never had the dash unglue itself in that 2008 model even though I did only have it for about 3.6 years.

The 2008 had about 36K miles on it when I traded it in. The 2012 I have now has a Silver exterior and gray leather interior and only 10.8K miles. This one has everything that Mitsubishi could fit in their Eclipse GT Coupe.

However, the 2008 Eclipse was as basic as you can get when it came to options. I don’t think the 2008 even had a tinted windshield but I’m not 100% sure on that.

Anyway, with Black on the outside and inside, I would have expected the 2008 to have this issue before the 2012 ever did.

I need to check my CP Preferences settings because I have the “Immediate Notification” setting turned on, but I never got any emails notifying me that I received any replies. I just decided to go to Club4G’s forum to see if anyone did answer before I shut down the computer for the night.

I need to check my spam folder, I bet that’s where the notifications went. Anyhow, thanks again.
Rich
BTW: I'm selling the 2012 GT but I haven't posted it on the web yet. I'm asking for $12.5K. It's loaded, has 10.8K miles and I have pictures around here somewhere if anyone's interested. With exception to a small ding on the hood and some areas where the die in the leather eats has worn away, (on the outer edge as you get in or out), it's in great shape. Oh, yeah, the dash lifting up... But I plan to have that fixed in the next day or so.

·
2,802 Posts
Thanks Folks,
I did think about using a good super glue but I thought there might have been a more ‘official adhesive’. Frankly, I’m surprised Mitsubishi didn’t use screws because they didn’t leave much excess to glue it down with.

In 2008, I bought a new 2008 Eclipse GT Coupe that was all black, (inside & out) and I traded it in for a new 2012 in 2012. I never had the dash unglue itself in that 2008 model even though I did only have it for about 3.6 years.

The 2008 had about 36K miles on it when I traded it in. The 2012 I have now has a Silver exterior and gray leather interior and only 10.8K miles. This one has everything that Mitsubishi could fit in their Eclipse GT Coupe.

However, the 2008 Eclipse was as basic as you can get when it came to options. I don’t think the 2008 even had a tinted windshield but I’m not 100% sure on that.

Anyway, with Black on the outside and inside, I would have expected the 2008 to have this issue before the 2012 ever did.

I need to check my CP Preferences settings because I have the “Immediate Notification” setting turned on, but I never got any emails notifying me that I received any replies. I just decided to go to Club4G’s forum to see if anyone did answer before I shut down the computer for the night.

I need to check my spam folder, I bet that’s where the notifications went. Anyhow, thanks again.
Rich
BTW: I'm selling the 2012 GT but I haven't posted it on the web yet. I'm asking for $12.5K. It's loaded, has 10.8K miles and I have pictures around here somewhere if anyone's interested. With exception to a small ding on the hood and some areas where the die in the leather eats has worn away, (on the outer edge as you get in or out), it's in great shape. Oh, yeah, the dash lifting up... But I plan to have that fixed in the next day or so.
Sorry but I doubt someone will pay that much for an Eclipse 4G, even a GT last year with low miles, but you never know
I'd say 7-8k tops

And low mileage isn't always the best, cars with low mileage are often driven with city mileage, not getting up to temperature, carbon build up, etc.

·
2009 & 2012 GT owner
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry but I doubt someone will pay that much for an Eclipse 4G, even a GT last year with low miles, but you never know
I'd say 7-8k tops

And low mileage isn't always the best, cars with low mileage are often driven with city mileage, not getting up to temperature, carbon build up, etc.
True, but all I can say to that is the car is used for long trips just short of "vacations". Other than that, a few rides to the store and I always have a 30 minute run time in my schedule for it once every two weeks.

I'm not "Hard" on my cars but I'm an an advanced driver that's always been into performance since I was a kid. I was a professional driver for about 6 years and in that job, I received additional training to deal with a number of scenarios, which all had to do with highway traffic conditions.

I also raced in the midget circuit for about 8 months (but that was years ago). I'm 63 now and I still watch out for my engines and it's for that exact reason that you mentioned, (city driving).

Most people don't like being a passenger when I'm driving because they're not used paying 100% attention to what they're doing when they're behind the wheel. Therefore, they don't realize everything that's going on in my head while I'm behind the wheel.

They're not used to, or aware of driving 5 cars ahead of themselves and three cars behind. I guess what I mean is that it's possible (very possible), to drive aggressively and fast without ever causing a disruption to any traffic around you (which is vitally important).

However, to do that, you have to turn off the cellphone and focus on what you're doing. It does take time and experience and most of all, knowing your's and the car's limitations.

Know the car's potential, expect everyone to be unaware of what their doing, (whether they are or not), and know your own limit. That's pretty much how it breaks down when it comes to aggressive, but careful, driving in traffic.

I don't want to sell this car because it's one of the most dependable engines I've ever had. I've owned faster cars but this is the only one that seemed to have just the right amount of power, speed and handling that made it perfect for US highways and streets.

It doesn't have so much power like many of the 'muscle cars' do and that will almost never be used. I like those 650HP, 260MPH, cars myself but seriously, in the US, that power may barely be called upon for less than 3% of the car's lifespan.

Unless you take a car like that to the track twice a week, you're paying for nothing but bragging rights and fuel. Maybe the US will open up an "Autobahn" highway like Europe has one day but I wouldn't hold my breath.

As it is, we're lucky to see 75mph speed limits let alone 250mph! I'd love to get on the Autobahn if I ever had the chance. However, I'd have to rent a Porsche 911 or better to make it worth my while:ndance:.

KBB put my car at $8300.00 but there isn't another 2012 GT Coupe (loaded or basic for over 500 miles from me that's for sale. The 2012's that are for sale right now are all 4 cylinders and the lowest mileage I saw was 68K.

There were 3 of them last week, two with 68K to 72K and the other was in its 90K miles. All three were priced at over $8800 and all three are gone.

I don't know, I may not get $12.5 but then again, I'm not really wanting to sell it so it's not like I cans't wait, if you see what I mean. On the other hand, I'm not unreasonable so it's all about what ever happens, happens...

Thanks to all about the Super Glue tip. I used to build & fly RC airplanes and I used a glue called "Hot-Stuff" back then. I'm going to buy some of the thicker version of that glue and give it a try.
Rich

·
2,802 Posts
True, but all I can say to that is the car is used for long trips just short of "vacations". Other than that, a few rides to the store and I always have a 30 minute run time in my schedule for it once every two weeks.

I'm not "Hard" on my cars but I'm an an advanced driver that's always been into performance since I was a kid. I was a professional driver for about 6 years and in that job, I received additional training to deal with a number of scenarios, which all had to do with highway traffic conditions.

I also raced in the midget circuit for about 8 months (but that was years ago). I'm 63 now and I still watch out for my engines and it's for that exact reason that you mentioned, (city driving).

Most people don't like being a passenger when I'm driving because they're not used paying 100% attention to what they're doing when they're behind the wheel. Therefore, they don't realize everything that's going on in my head while I'm behind the wheel.

They're not used to, or aware of driving 5 cars ahead of themselves and three cars behind. I guess what I mean is that it's possible (very possible), to drive aggressively and fast without ever causing a disruption to any traffic around you (which is vitally important).

However, to do that, you have to turn off the cellphone and focus on what you're doing. It does take time and experience and most of all, knowing your's and the car's limitations.

Know the car's potential, expect everyone to be unaware of what their doing, (whether they are or not), and know your own limit. That's pretty much how it breaks down when it comes to aggressive, but careful, driving in traffic.

I don't want to sell this car because it's one of the most dependable engines I've ever had. I've owned faster cars but this is the only one that seemed to have just the right amount of power, speed and handling that made it perfect for US highways and streets.

It doesn't have so much power like many of the 'muscle cars' do and that will almost never be used. I like those 650HP, 260MPH, cars myself but seriously, in the US, that power may barely be called upon for less than 3% of the car's lifespan.

Unless you take a car like that to the track twice a week, you're paying for nothing but bragging rights and fuel. Maybe the US will open up an "Autobahn" highway like Europe has one day but I wouldn't hold my breath.

As it is, we're lucky to see 75mph speed limits let alone 250mph! I'd love to get on the Autobahn if I ever had the chance. However, I'd have to rent a Porsche 911 or better to make it worth my while:ndance:.

KBB put my car at $8300.00 but there isn't another 2012 GT Coupe (loaded or basic for over 500 miles from me that's for sale. The 2012's that are for sale right now are all 4 cylinders and the lowest mileage I saw was 68K.

There were 3 of them last week, two with 68K to 72K and the other was in its 90K miles. All three were priced at over $8800 and all three are gone.

I don't know, I may not get $12.5 but then again, I'm not really wanting to sell it so it's not like I cans't wait, if you see what I mean. On the other hand, I'm not unreasonable so it's all about what ever happens, happens...

Thanks to all about the Super Glue tip. I used to build & fly RC airplanes and I used a glue called "Hot-Stuff" back then. I'm going to buy some of the thicker version of that glue and give it a try.
Rich
You're spot on with driving techniques and being aware of everything going on while you're behind the wheel, I feel the exact same way, I'm often annoyed by passengers trying to have a conversation with me while I am driving because it is enough of a distraction most of the time.

Yeah, I could see a little over 8k, but definitely not worth over 10k I would say for sure.

My 06 GS base model automatic, which I got wrecked from Copart and rebuilt, so it has a rebuilt title, will never be worth anything really, so I just do uber amounts of maintenance to it myself to keep it in top running condition even with 146k miles it never skips a beat as I've done every maintenance item to it possible. I often see Eclipse 4G's used in my area for $2,500-5,000 realistically

Also, you can take value's from KBB and others with a grain of salt, as they've been bought out by huge companies that run the used car market like Carmax, they sell used cars, they then price the used car market; sometimes cars are worth more or less without any input from these websites, for example, my 2002 Subaru WRX in great condition with rebuilt engine, new paint, transmission from a JDM Legacy with a 4.11 final drive instead of 3.9, all maintenance up to date and done, full "Stage 2" mods including aftermarket uppipe, downpipe, full 3 inch race exhaust, open source ECUFlash/ROMRaider ECU reflash from Osecurom, TurboXS MBC and Blow off valve, boost gauge, new silicone turbo and intercooler inlet hoses, AEM short ram intake, aluminum radiator, ACT Stage 2 race clutch, STi rear wing, momo shift knob, Drag DB9 wheels, all new fluids, brakes, tires, NGK iridium spark plugs, timing belt, axles, ball joints, alebit with 240k miles on the "clock," is only worth less than $900 to "KBB," but if you go look for a used 2002 WRX for real that isn't a basket case needing heavy repairs, you're talking $5k plus easy, usually $8k, so KBB is totally wrong and doesn't understand the value of certain car markets or the following behind a car such as the Subaru WRX

That being said, even though the Eclipse 4G GT is faster than my 4G69, the 4G69 is a very proven reliable engine with less moving parts, being based on the 4G63 and partly the 4G64 engines used in the Evo's with turbo's strapped on, the guys on this forum now are opting for the GS's and putting on turbo's which can easily outdo a GT quickly; and the GT is also harder to work on, wanna change spark plugs on the GT? Pull off the intake manifold. Wanna replace the rear exhaust manifold (bad cats? common on 06 GT for sure)? Pull off the axles and be prepared to possibly drop an engine mount. Wanna replace the starter? Oh good luck. Timing belt? Hard enough on the GS, good luck on the GT. All these things are way easier on my GS and can be done myself in my driveway easily, which is a huge plus for an old car and someone wants to do maintenance themselves, or at least be cheaper labor work when they need things replaced at a shop. The GT motors in the Eclipse 3G and 4G, were just like the 3000GT, huge engine crammed in small engine bay with no working room, and needing to remove all kings of things to do basic maintenance.

·
2009 & 2012 GT owner
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL, When it comes to do the "simple things" to an engine yourself, for me, that train left years ago! Way back when we were still using carburetors, I recall a night when me and four friends all got together to rebuild our friend's new 1978 Chevelle SS. Two of us were installing a Holly 8-Pack while the others were changing out the rear differential.

This friend of mine says "ya know? What this really needs is a fuel injection system. That'll get it down the quarter in 2 seconds faster". I looked up at him and said; "when they start making cars with fuel injection, that's when I'll stop trying to fix 'em".

I don't remember what year Fuel Injection became common but I do remember that I stopped working on cars when I looked under the hood one day and couldn't find a carburetor... I said, "well I'm screwed", lets call a wrecker.

The last thing I ever did on a car myself was to change out a starter. It was a little 1998 or '99, 4 cylinder Isuzu jeep kind of thing, and it still wasn't easy because of a lot stuff in the way.

BTW, That 78 Chevelle SS was able to turn the 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds after a lot of money and time went in it. Nowadays, You can buy cars right off the lot, straight out of the factory assembly line that can do that without touching them.

Back then, 1/4 mile in 13 seconds, (even 14 seconds), was fast! Now you can by assembly line cars that go 0 to 60 in under 3.5 seconds and still have the entire engine covered by a hood, LOL.
Rich

·
2,802 Posts
You’re just an old timer then, boomer

Fuel injection has reduced emissions, increased reliability, allowed flex fuel, easier diagnostics with OBD2, it’s actually made repairs easier since you can actually do diagnostics and data logging

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,295 Posts
I say keep your price up and see if you'll find a collector. The cats are definitely gonna be in rough shape from all that idling, but anyone who cares enough to want 10k miles on an Eclipse and will spend that much to get it will likely put in new cats.

It's definitely a small market, and you're gonna be waiting for the right guy. These are cars that trade hands frequently, then get passed off to the next guy to have his fun. Good luck with the sale though. I feel the leather damage and body damage are what's going to hurt the chances of a collector wanting it though, as there are higher mileage options without damage frequently for sale. If you fixed those, you could likely up your chances of finding a buyer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Super glue or a good epoxy.

Hot glue will just melt on the first sunny warm day. This is a super common problem

Mine is doing the same,,, I've been putting it off until the weather cooled off... so now's the time .. I am going to use 3M weatherstrip adhesive as it's good with rubber/plastic (most mechanics refer to this glue as "yellow snot") ,, I just need to make a series of tensioners to push it into place while the glue dries...

I also bought some foam tape to reseal the ac vents to the dash trim as those seals are gone...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes same happened to my 2008 eclipse spyder i wasnt sure what to use either i guess superglue or that 3m stuff the mechanics call something but ya mine is driver side mostly but all the way from driver to passenger.but then when u need to get to the dash like speedometers and stuff it wont prevent u from gettng into that will it? And no my eclipse has no tint windshield i wish..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts