Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've broken 2 transmissions now on my 280whp 07 gs. I need something else to try, what is known to fit?? Thank you!

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,295 Posts
280whp isn't alone going to be the killer. That's a fairly mild turbo setup. What exactly is breaking? And what sort of wheel/tire/clutch/flywheel/damper setup are you on? Generally around the 600whp area is where the trans caps out, with the issue being the dif.

Lightweight flywheels, lightweight crank pulleys, and unsprung clutches contribute to crank vibrations which can cause input shaft bearing wear.

Heavy wheels, and sticky tires launched hard will cause more force to be applied, although I wouldn't bet on that being the issue, as the CV would be what takes the brunt of that. Bad wheel bearings could also transmit vibration up into the transmission

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
280whp isn't alone going to be the killer. That's a fairly mild turbo setup. What exactly is breaking? And what sort of wheel/tire/clutch/flywheel/damper setup are you on? Generally around the 600whp area is where the trans caps out, with the issue being the dif.

Lightweight flywheels, lightweight crank pulleys, and unsprung clutches contribute to crank vibrations which can cause input shaft bearing wear.

Heavy wheels, and sticky tires launched hard will cause more force to be applied, although I wouldn't bet on that being the issue, as the CV would be what takes the brunt of that. Bad wheel bearings could also transmit vibration up into the transmission
The part that attaches to the rear mount split right down the middle straight off lol stock wheels, indy 500 Firestone, stock flywheel, stock damper, stock pulleys everything stock except the exhaust manifold, clutch from exeddy oem, zex 75 shot with controller, tune non stand alone so basic for nitrous to run, intake half custom 😆, mono ss godspeed coil overs the cheapies and now pdl I believe is the company for my cv axles. Thats about it plus my stickers which add about 100 hp alone!... 👌 jk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The part that attaches to the rear mount split right down the middle straight off lol stock wheels, indy 500 Firestone, stock flywheel, stock damper, stock pulleys everything stock except the exhaust manifold, clutch from exeddy oem, zex 75 shot with controller, tune non stand alone so basic for nitrous to run, intake half custom 😆, mono ss godspeed coil overs the cheapies and now pdl I believe is the company for my cv axles. Thats about it plus my stickers which add about 100 hp alone!... 👌 jk
Oe*

·
Basically Stock
6,295 Posts
What are you running for motor/trans mount bushings?

Soft OEM rubber ones will flex, and then the engine and trans will hammer against the mount where the flex maxes out. I've not known anyone to run stock mount bushings with a turbo, so it could be uncharted territory if yours is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are you running for motor/trans mount bushings?

Soft OEM rubber ones will flex, and then the engine and trans will hammer against the mount where the flex maxes out. I've not known anyone to run stock mount bushings with a turbo, so it could be uncharted territory if yours is.
Stock mounts. No turbo, Running N/A with 75shot nitrous

·
Basically Stock
6,295 Posts
Get yourself some poly bushings. The stock rubber was never designed to handle that sort of load. Depending when you let the nitrous go, you could be delivering huge amounts of torque

Also, that's neat you managed to dyno 280whp on a 75 shot. Most do around 265 with that, long tubes, exhaust, and intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts