Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Need ECU help

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Sabertooth^2 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 GT , the ECU has a large crack in the case. It appears moisture may have gotten in it. I had P codes that went from throttle position sensor to throttle body. Does anyone know where I can get an ECU preprogrammed? I called a dealer & they dont want to program a used ECU if I buy one from the web. I have looked into sending the unit out to be repaired but I am not sure how reliable some places might be. Thanks For Any Help !

#10 ·
Technically the re-VIN process through the official MUT 3 dealer software will only set the “current VIN” value, and leaves the “original VIN” as whatever was the 1st VIN burned into the ECU when the car was made

the “current VIN” is the one that really matters and is the one that will show via generic OBD2 VIN pulls for emissions testing and such and by generic scan tools

I guess Mitsubishi just wanted the “original VIN” to stay dormant inside the ECU in case that ECU was from a stolen chop shop car or something idk

I also don’t believe that this will affect the keys or immobilizer since that’s done in the ETACS, and changing the ECU/PCM’s current VIN to your correct VIN will allow communication between them again and the matching VINs “marry them” once again

#11 ·
Vin can be updated and what it depends on I do not know. The first three signs are information about the manufacturer and the country of manufacture of the car. If the production has changed its location, then you will know about it. I also recommend check car history with vin and look at the different services for the decryption and check the relevance of your particular vin number

#12 ·
You can only replace either the engine computer or the ETACS at a time, as they both store the VIN and become married, u can only replace either one at a time because it will check with the other module to make sure the input VIN matches

A proper scan tool that will allow VIN writing will also match the immobilizer code between the engine computer and the the ETACS

just grab an engine computer from a car with the exact tear tag on it as yours, from the same year car, engine type, and transmission type

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.