Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so close to buying a gorgeous 2007 GT convertible. It is absolutely mint... EXCEPT... for the dreaded "bubbling dash syndrome"! (I think many of you are familiar with this) I have read the posts regarding the dash being replaced under warranty back in the day, but I'm wondering if anyone has repaired or replaced one of these themselves. It's really bugging me, as I REALLY want this car, but I find my eyes always being drawn to the ugly dash. So, the whole car purchase rests on whether I would be able to make the interior look as perfect as the exteror. I highly doubt that I'd be able to convince the salesman to pay for a replacement, so it's all up to me, if I am to get the car.

Can anyone tell me what is involved in removing this soft part of the dash? Would it even still be possible to find a replacement? And if so, do you know how much it would cost? Would I be able to order one directly from Mitsubishi, or need to find some aftermarket company? I have so far done only a cursory online search for some answers, but have been striking out. Please help me with this, as I really want this car, but am afraid I won't be able to fix this godawful dash!

Anyway, I'm hoping some of you fine forum folks will be able to provide this uninformed Canadian with some answers, and hopefully convince me that the problem can be remedied, thus preventing me from having to admit myself to the nearest mental asylum.

Graciously awaiting your replies,
Glen

·
Gamer
6,896 Posts
Ita real easy to remove, its held on by glue basically, i removed mine and painted it blue,
To remove you have to remove the gauge pod, the 2 AC vent covers, and radio display, then just start pulling up at one corner and work around,

Can you get a pic of the bubbling???
This is a before and after of mine

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cmturner, for your prompt reply; I'm relieved to know someone who has removed the dash. The pic below is pretty poor, and not large enough to see the flaws easily, but you can still get an idea of what I'm talking about I hope. The bubbling, if that's even what it is, is mainly along the top, from one side to the other. I don't suppose there is a way to fix it, other than its replacement? If so, do you know where I could get one, and roughly the cost?

I am to be receiving a new set of sharper, more detailed photos of the car early next week. You see, the car is in the province of Quebec, and I'm in Newfoundland, so I'm really doing something crazy here; taking a gamble of buying a car without first seeing it with my own eyes, let alone driving it! As the GT convertibles (with automatic) are such rare beasts, at least here in Canada, they sell very quickly, so the only way for me to snag one is to jump on it as soon as I see one listed for sale. I would be paying for the car now, and picking it up when we make our road trip to Quebec/Ontario in about four weeks time.

If I knew how to get my hands on a replacement dash, I might be able to get the dealership to install it. But I don't know if it would be an expensive part, or a cheap one. What do you think? Should I try to get one through Mitsubishi, or is it better to look for an aftermarket company?

Thanks for your response, and here's the photo.

Glen

·
tUNED.
4,566 Posts
unless u buy a fabric or suede cover for it for like $30. might not b the most appealing but its a "solution"

rockauto has direct fit covers. select your vehicle then go to body-interior then dash covers

RockAuto Parts Catalog

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a look at the fitted covers; as you stated, not the most appealing option. I would love to know just how pricey a replacement would be. Anyone have a ballpark figure?
Glen

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You could also get a cloth wrap and do a custom one .
Hi Animefreak, that's probably beyond my capabilities, (at least to do a decent job of it!) but thank-you for the suggestion.

It's hard to tell without actually seeing the car in front of me, whether it would be possible to repair the dash without removing it. For instance, if this is a case of an outer layer separating from whatever is underneath, as in actual “bubbles”, would it be not be possible to insert an adhesive (via syringe) into these areas, then roll them out flat? (I have seen this syringe procedure used to flatten bubbles in linoleum)

With so many people having reported this bubbling dash problem over the years, there must surely be some who have attempted to flatten the bubbling, without first having to remove/replace the troublesome dash pad, yes?

I've had no luck in learning whether this soft piece can actually be purchased alone, or only as part of the entire dashboard assembly. (which would simply be far too expensive to be feasible) Does anyone know if just the padded part can be purchased? And if so, where?

I sure wish I was not so far away from this car, because I will need to make a decision real soon as to whether to buy it or not, or it will likely sell out from under my nose in no time. I'm desperately hoping more people will read this post and come to my rescue.

Thanks,
Glen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts