Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys! So my topic is about if I should sell my 2008 SE v6 eclipse, which I love by the way, or keep upgrading it, my thoughts behind selling it are that, it seems that no matter where I go read online, FWD cars are not regarded as good or as having the same potential as RWD cars, that our cars have a lot of understeer, are heavy and spinned tires a lot. I'm about to install the carbon Creations magneto style carbon fiber hood, RRE headers and probably the magna flow exhaust system, I was planning to get a custom X stainless steel exhaust but after reading around I feel like I won't be able to build a worthy car in terms of performance, for example to my understanding if I make my car reach 350hp, and I compete against a car with the same hp but RWD, I will lose just because mine is FWD and supposedly FWD cars don't accelerate as fast or take good sharp corners as RWD, so if this is true, would a car such as the nissan 370z have more potential and be more worthy of investing money on it?.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Depends on the type of racing. A 350hp FWD vs an equal weight 350hp RWD on a roll race will have a huge advantage. But from a dig, like drag racing, you won't have much chance unless they spin on the line (harder to recover in RWD). The reason the roll is good for FWD is because the driveline shock event is already done, and then it's just fairly consistent torque output. The reason why now the FWD will pull away, at equal power, is that a FWD driveline has less drivetrain loss. The driveline is simplier, with less rotating mass, fewer parts, and overall less ability for any flex/deflection. So while a 350hp eclipse may put down about 320whp, a 350hp 370z will put down more around 300whp.

Cornering wise, the 4G GT used to compete with Mitsubishi teams in a sport compact league which included the 350z. The 4G was one of the fastest vehicles in the league, with great handling.

That said, you need to definitely set the car up right if you want that to happen. Stuff like reverse staggered wheels which everyone seems to hate make a big performance difference.

Weight wise, the 4G is heavy because it's solid. On long corners my GS on all season tires was keeping up with more flexible significantly lighter cars like a 2010ish Honda civic on semi slicks with body bracing, and basically every handling mod you can buy off the shelf. The reason is, as stresses from grip rise, the chassis takes more force trying to distort it, which messes up the wheel alignment until the stress goes away again.

Now, the problem. You say 350hp. The work to make a 350hp GT is the same work as making a 450hp. It's gonna be a rear mounted turbo.

Overall, what's good for you is a matter of comfort, fit, reliability, and purpose. Eg, my fully gutted GS racecar. Fast. It was very very fast. But it wasn't very good for driving with no helmet as it was deafeningly loud inside. My Audi TT. Great drag car, great in snow, comfortable, unbelievable fuel economy (45-55mpg average depending which tires I run). Can't fit my dog. My truck. Fits my dog, good in snow, fits a bedroom set, and can pull 8500lbs. Would never dare race it, not anything much to play with. Everything has strengths and weaknesses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply, it helped me a lot to put things into perspective and see what way I want to take, I will consider selling my cars and getting a Lancer evo, very much appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts